Dat help

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
I have got two dats at around 7" in a 125g with a knife fish and a couple of birchirs. Both dats stay very dark and are rather skittish I see everyone else's with lovley gold colours, my ph is around 7.6 and my water quality is pretty much perfect with the temp at about 25. When feeding the dats will dart in an then dart off normally into bits of bog wood then just sit there to digest it with out moving, there's lots of hiding places for them with plants to help break the tank up any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1348686975.565107.jpg

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
2 is a bad number of dats. Surprised you're not having aggression issues between the 2. The way they eat is normal, they like to "stalk" their prey. As far as their colors it all depends on the fish. Some will be stable all the time and others won't be. As they get bigger and more confident they should start to become more stable.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Is more dats better or less always see pictures on here of tanks with several in both seem fine when I'm around, just I've had them around 5 months an they have got better but not much. Also other than frozen foods what is a good pellet to feed them on. I have also seen a nice Campbelli at my lfs could I add this or would it add even more issues. Cheers.

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Add few dithers and see... SDs shoal should do fine i guess... this is what i am going to be doin pretty soon... :)

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
My dats were shy until i added the school of wide bar silver dollars. Then they were all over the place and it was great.

Eventually I had to move and lose the school of silver dollars and am back to having shy dats. Dithers are pretty much the key to getting htem to come out. Also ST is a siamese tiger the one thats extinct in the wild. They have much more out going personalities compared to the IT and are stable and colorful 99% of the time.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Shua an strollo both of ur avatars are beautiful fish mine will now an then show colours like yours. After my holiday I will invest in a couple of dithers would dollars be the best choice.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Just done a water change caught my dat out an his colours went to this, his colours were lovley when he was stressed why is this. Does this mean his darker colours are just his natural colours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store