giant african fan shrimp?,

gulperfan220

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
mancheter, nh
I have a 56 gallon column with two featherfin catfish, six raphaeal catfish, one firemouth cichlid,five odessa barb, four sunset platy, lots of frogbits , water sprites and compact sword plants plus anubias. A eheim 2217 canister filter and ac70 hob, 10 gallon weekly water change would like to add in future some (about two) giant african fan shrimps to community will the featherfins (5 Inches) harm these wonderful shrimps? Would like to add some olive nerite snails too , hoping for very diverse community tank:naughty::):)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Never heard of them and I'd like to see what they look like.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
often called "vampire shrimp", they are filter feeders and usually hit about 6-8" as adults...

https://www.google.com/search?q=vam...Q&biw=1066&bih=582&sei=5QBmUMeOO4q70QGklIGYBg

www.azgardens.com always has them in stock. They are really cool in groups, love driftwood, but with your current tank you'd probably not have them last as cichlids love to eat crustaceans. I'd be worried about the high number of bottom dwellers you have, as these like to stay in flowing water to "fan out", again, climbing to driftwood or something else to get in the column.

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
They are very delicate and peaceful, despite the name...the catfish you have would most likely bully them is what I meant with the bottom dweller comment.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
often called "vampire shrimp", they are filter feeders and usually hit about 6-8" as adults...

https://www.google.com/search?q=vam...Q&biw=1066&bih=582&sei=5QBmUMeOO4q70QGklIGYBg

www.azgardens.com always has them in stock. They are really cool in groups, love driftwood, but with your current tank you'd probably not have them last as cichlids love to eat crustaceans. I'd be worried about the high number of bottom dwellers you have, as these like to stay in flowing water to "fan out", again, climbing to driftwood or something else to get in the column.

I like how that link shows them in aquariums and cooked on a plate!

mmmmm shrimp

cambo01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
chesterfield uk
I used to have one of these I picked up cheep at an inch and it reached 6" fairly quickly

It was pretty much the scaryest thing I've ever owned lol when that started charging round the tank it was time to stop cleaning hahaha

I would love another one of these if anyone hears of them in the uk

sharonluvd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
los angeles, ca
the vampire shrimp are really peaceful and get scared easily, they like to have a lot of hiding spaces, unless they are of a larger size, I would avoid putting them in a tank with a bully fish, also they are best suited for tanks where they can sit undisturbed in a high flow area to "filter food" with their fans open.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store