Gar onto Pellets?

Asianleful

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Florida
So far, I have my Florida gar on dead food right now, mainly shrimp. I started by starving him for a month and a half, tossing in pellets for the whole pond inhabitants but he doesn't come near even when I toss pellets to him... Any ideas?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
My gars eat anything and I think it's because I feed from just one spot all the time. What ever is dropped in the feeding hole is considered food. Massivor, floating carni sticks, fingers, mice, I have a pic of my T gar eating a Brussles sprout.

Feed at the same place every time and the gar will associate that location as food and pound what ever is put in there.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
after a month and a half... hes eating something. I agree w/ egon. once they understand you = food they will eat/ try anything.. the trick is teaching them your hand isn't the food!

bestfeed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
Malaysia
As far as I know gar is one of the carnivorous species. Just look at its sharp teeth. The only option that maybe works, however I never try it; try make it fasting; I mean don't feed it with any live foods for 2-4 days...then feed it with those pellets...this way useful for some fishes like marble goby which it also carnivore type..try it first...

Blackumbi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
next to my tank's
My gars eat anything and I think it's because I feed from just one spot all the time. What ever is dropped in the feeding hole is considered food. Massivor, floating carni sticks, fingers, mice, I have a pic of my T gar eating a Brussles sprout.

Feed at the same place every time and the gar will associate that location as food and pound what ever is put in there.
1 + i have Florida gar And he eats flakes to lol gl

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
to the OP,
getting gars on to pellets often times requires some transitional feed and sometimes mild fasting. if you can get a hold of some freeze dried krill, that feed will work well for a transition from live/frozen fish/shrimp to pellets. the krill smells strongly, floats, and is brightly colored. if you use this to get the gars to feed from the surface, they will eventually home in on location and also floating feed types. from there you can experiment with pellets. try mixing in pellets with the FD krill once they are hooked, and eventually use less and less krill, and convert to pellets. keep offering the pellets each feeding until they take them (once they have been trained on krill and you're weaning them off). good luck!--
--solomon

BaTsBR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Brasil
Hi there
Not that different with me.
Once I started with feeders, than fish and shrimp filetts. After some time they are eating from my hand, but no pellets.
But the Florida gar I have now just started eating pellets by itself.
When trying to yeah the small dats to take pellets, the gar was the one who learned.
Just be patient when he learn that you are the one that gives him food, he will start to eat a lot.

Sent from my GT-S7500L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store