Stunting Anomaly

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
I have a 2 year old Indonesian Datnoid that is only 1". He is in a 20g tall w/ less than 20ppm nitrates. The tank is only a grow-out but at this rate it may be his permanent home. Since he's not growing.
His tankmates include:
1 yellow lab mbuna 3"
3 cuckoo catfish 3", 3", 2"
1 syno petricola 2"

Its a Jersey Thing

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Move the other fish. Or put in a tank alone. At that age it should be decent size.

Sent from my Comet using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Not much I can do. I have a divided 10g w/ 1 guppy and 1 celestial pearl danio. Or I have a 3g cylinder tank w/ a betta. Or I have another 10g w/ 1 injured fm mbuna & a bumblebee catfish.

Its a Jersey Thing
Why did you buy a datnoid and don't have a big enough tank to.move fish? 20g tall a suitable growout. House a fish suppose to grow when the length is so short? Should've been growing him out in at least a 3ft tank. Should've moved him earlier.

I need to spark up my fish life

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Why did you buy a datnoid and don't have a big enough tank to.move fish? 20g tall a suitable growout. House a fish suppose to grow when the length is so short? Should've been growing him out in at least a 3ft tank. Should've moved him earlier.

+1 if you want it to grow it needs room to grow. A 20 long would have been better.

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal

Dude you clearly have no idea what I just said. I have big tanks but he is WAY to small. The datnoid is one inch long. The tank is practically empty he hasn't grown at all. Still exactly the same size as when I got him. 20g tall is 2 feet long fyi that's 24X his body length.

Its a Jersey Thing

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
LOL. room to grow??? I guess 24X his body length is too small? Your NUTS! Sarcasm intended.

Its a Jersey Thing
Lol obviously not if it hasn't growen any.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
A 20 gallon is plenty big enough for a 1" fish. The only problem is that he should have been in a tank by himself or with his own kind to grow out. I've heard that other species of fish release different hormones that could potentially stunt the smaller fishes growth, especially in that small if a tank. If you have a bigger tank that you can move the other bigger fish to and leave him by himself, I would try that for a month and see if he grows a little. If not, he's destined to be a runt.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I grew my rhom out from .5-1.5" in a 10gal. But there's a lot more to it, nutrition, clean water and no aggression etc. Grow outs serve their purpose if done right, you can't just throw a fish in a tank and hope for it to grow.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store