From Red Bellied Piranha to Rift Lakes

cjs4873

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Washington, Tyne and Wear UK
Hi All,

Not new to MFK but I am new to your section. At the moment this is my tank.
IMAG0013.jpg
I had these 15 Reds since babies so about for 4 years now, but have been thinking about changing over to African Rifts. I will be doing some changes to the deco but am thinking of keeping some of the trees in but adding a few rocky places in then. would really love your input

Thanks

IMAG0013.jpg

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
That is a gorgeous tank!

Nothing says you have to do a biotope to keep africans. I would keep all the trees, all the sand. I would buy some slate (nice and flat) or some medium/large river stones (the flat-ish round ones) and stack them to create even more nooks and crannies.

I don't want to pull you off topic, but what are those trees? did you make them, and if so from what and how?

cjs4873

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
That is a gorgeous tank!

Nothing says you have to do a biotope to keep africans. I would keep all the trees, all the sand. I would buy some slate (nice and flat) or some medium/large river stones (the flat-ish round ones) and stack them to create even more nooks and crannies.

I don't want to pull you off topic, but what are those trees? did you make them, and if so from what and how?
Thanks didn't want to change it to much and was thinking along them lines with river stones to make coves and hiding places for them. the trees are cork bark stumps the ones you can buy for reptile tanks. I was told that wouldn't last but there have been in the tank for 4 year and still looking good

cjs4873

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
Thanks didn't want to change it to much and was thinking along them lines with river stones to make coves and hiding places for them. the trees are cork bark stumps the ones you can buy for reptile tanks. I was told that wouldn't last but there have been in the tank for 4 year and still looking good
That is awesome!

Does the cork wood have any effect on pH? If it does lower pH you can still use it, just counter the acidic effect by putting bags of crushed coral in your filters, or can treat water on changes with baking soda.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I'm a little lost, those rbp are 4 years old? There as big as 1 year olds. Also slate and rock is NOT suggested for a shoal as they can knock themselves against them and get hurt. And are you saying you want cichlids now? Or just cichlid aquascape?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to understand :)

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

Redbellypiranha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
Colorado
I'm a little lost, those rbp are 4 years old? There as big as 1 year olds. Also slate and rock is NOT suggested for a shoal as they can knock themselves against them and get hurt. And are you saying you want cichlids now? Or just cichlid aquascape?

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8
He said they are 8-9" that's seems normal to me

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cjs4873

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8
No bother. yes they are 4 years old and i'm want to change to cichlids now.

cjs4873

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8
No bother. yes they are 4 years old and i'm want to change to cichlids now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store