Datnoids Not Eating?

Jitsurob1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
Riverside CA
I have 4 Dats all are 3-5 inches 3 silvers 1 indo there in a 220G with 2 orino pbass 2-4 inches 2 bluegill 4-6 inches 1 Flagtail 4-6 inches 1 BGK 4-6 1 CK 7-8 inches 1 sleeper goby 3-5 inches.

Water parameters: Nitrates 20 PPM
nitrites 0 PPM
hardness 150 PPM
chlorine 0 PPM
alkalinity 180
pH 7.2-7.8
water temp 80-82

About a week ago my dad way over fed my entire tank with hikari floating and sinking pellets unfortunately i did not find it until i got home from work later that night and couldnt do a water change the next day when i went to do the water change i found out my sister had broke my syphone and neglected to tell me so i had to wait another day until i got paid to get another one. after the water change i fed everyone and everyone ate a lil shrimp and pellets. the last 2 feedings none of the 4 datnoids have eaten, 1 datnoid is being treated for cloud eye due to the poor water quality, besides that my sleeper goby was newly added only about 3 days ago he hides most time and is super peaceful...

any ideas experiences like this before???

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Dats are tough fish, but unclean water can make them act strange at times. Eyecloud is very common, but pretty easy to make go away with clean water (depending on the severity). I would let them live in perfect water for a few more days with not many feeding in the tank for any of the fish. Are you treating this dat in the main tank? If so, the chemicals might surpress their appitites too

Jitsurob1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
Riverside CA
Yea i was worried abut the cloud eye right away and whats weird is the 3 are stable for the first time since ive had them and the 4th with cloud eye is in a seprate 10 gal with slightly higher water temp and 75% water changes daily due to the meds im using, him i toally understad not eating but he is also stable... doesnt make sense to me but i will try not feeding them for 3 days? to long to short

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Cloudy eyes problem when detected early shouldn't require medication treatment. Only more water changes should be necessary. And not all dats have same level of bad water tolerance. One of my dats started having one cloudy eye, while the other ones didn't, one time when I had to delay my w/c schedule to almost 2 weeks per. Then with normal weekly w/c at 50%, the eye cleared right up in two weeks.

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I wouldn't b worried bout the eating yet..like Strollo said, they can do fine for weeks without eating. Not sure how you're dats react to feeding time, but mine let me kno when they hungry, all gather below my feeding port and wait. Id just quit feeding for couple more days, should work up an appetite by then...as for the cloudy eye, I've had that happen with many dif fish, and was usually from them scratching on a rock or something. Healed them up quickly with melefix. Good luck

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
i agree, stay away from meds and up the water changes.... all fish will benefit, especially the one with the clouded eye... i'd also be curious to know how much current you have in the tank, as i had this problem with my dats initially, cloudy eyes that is, and adding a circulator along with more frequent water changes cleared it right up in a couple weeks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jitsurob1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
Riverside CA
the cloudy eye is gone and hes back in the tank happy and suprisingly alrdy stable, i want to try and not feed them for a few more days then its been 2 so far... there is a stronger current on the left side of the tank both circular and straight it dies off a bit toward the ride side of the tank, mainly where my BGK hangs out lol

Monkey d datnoid

Feeder Fish
May 24, 2019
Hello guys im new here.. i just bought 1 datnoid and put it in a tank with my arowana.. since that day the datnoid not eating and keep hiding so i add another 1 thought maybe he needs company.. but till now the two haven eat for 1 week.. what shlold i do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store