My Longnose Gar is eating Fish Flakes, Is this bad for it???

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
I have a 6-7 inch Longnose Gar. I've been feeding it rosie red minnows, guppies, Freeze-Dried Krill, and Frozen Bloodworms. When I feed the other fish in the tank fish flakes, the gar will also eat them. Right away she would bite them, but then let them go, but now she is swallowing them. I just want to make sure that these won't be unhealthy for my gar. Thank you all.

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Thank you! I hope to get it to eat pellets in the near future also. I was surprised when my longnose gar was already accepting just about every type of food I put into the tank right off the bat when I also have a large longnose and a florida in a different tank that will still only eat live food and krill.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Thank you! I hope to get it to eat pellets in the near future also. I was surprised when my longnose gar was already accepting just about every type of food I put into the tank right off the bat when I also have a large longnose and a florida in a different tank that will still only eat live food and krill.

Good for you wanting the best for you fish! Awesome job ! You will see great growth and colors with a good pellet, I recommend NLS or 01 :thumbup:

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
+1 you are all ready two steps ahead of the game. Your gar recognizing that you are its source of food early will go a long way in you providing a healthy life for it. Congrats and :thumbsup: to you!

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i have noticed alot of the small lng that have been around took to prep foods fast and in most cases on the first attempt. once you small lng is in with the others they will start to pick up on its feeding habits. gl with it. an keep the mixed diet in play.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

showcase gars

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2010
Tallahassee,Florida
Ur doing good he will b fine on flakes and other things. My longnose eats tilapia from my hand because he wont go to the bottom to eat massivores yet but over time he will

maximus1006

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
ny
Just start using floating pellits he will take it...that's my exp. If it floats it will eat it..

Sent from my MB855 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
i have noticed alot of the small lng that have been around took to prep foods fast and in most cases on the first attempt. once you small lng is in with the others they will start to pick up on its feeding habits. gl with it. an keep the mixed diet in play.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1

My three month old LNG taught my 14 month old FLG's that pellets were food. They're pretty smart when food's involved.

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Thank you all. For the positive feedback! I appreciate it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store