Uaru amphiacanthoids

pjsammut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Malbourne Australia
I am in a position to pickup some uaru this weekend, 6 individuals. They are pretty pricey ($55 AUD) so just want some advice from those who have kept this species. I have a 180 gallon currently stocked with 6 large satanoperca leucasticta (4-8 inch)and 6 geo rio tapojas (4-6 inch). I have a few other bits and pieces (school of rummy nose, couple of angles) as well. The fish I'm buying are around 3 inches and was wondering if they will be compatible with my current stock? I don't really have a grow out just a small quarentine tank I'll use for a couple weeks then hope I put them in the 180. What do you guys think? Also any tips in feeding or care anyone wishes to share?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
They would be fine with your current stock but a 180 is not large enough for all those fish. Six Uaru would easily fill that up on their own with some dithers. You will eventually have to thin some stock.

They prefer warm water (in the mid 80s Fahrenheit) and lots of veggies. I used to feed mine Romaine and shelled peas, in addition to a good quality pellet. Also, because of the large bioload, you'll have to really stay on top of water changes and filter maintenance. The Uaru are very sensitive to nitrate and poor water quality (as are the Satanoperca, I'm sure) so things could quickly go south if the water quality isn't high.

Do you have any plants? If so, the Uaru will destroy them.

pjsammut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Malbourne Australia
Thanks Ryan. I have a eheim 2260 and a fx5 on the 180. I also do 50% water change weekly. My decor consists of lots of driftwood and Anubia.
I know I'm pushing it space wise I just love all my fish so it's going to be hard thinning back so will have to really think about it.
Feeding time can get a bit boisterous so will they be able to hold their own? Did you have luck breeding them?

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
My experience is similar to Ryan's. They love greens and veggies to eat. I found them to be quite personable and a fun fish to keep, but you need to stay on top of the water changes. I also would think that the small tetras will eventually get eaten when the uaru get some size on them.

Mine spawned a few times in a community setting, but the eggs never lasted more than a day or two. I am sure that I could have had success if they were given their own tank. Unfortunately, I lost my female before I had a chance to set up another tank for them.

I found them to be aggressive eaters but they were bullied by a large male severum they shared the tank with.

djlamonica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2012
SE Michigan
Well ill share my little exp with you. My lfs has a pair of very large uaru with amazing coloring but they have yet to breed owner says he has had them for like 8 years there massive. He keeps them in the show tank at the front with very very small fish said he'd never lost anything else in the tank. He feeds strictly nls pellets, he said there similar to sevrums in a lot of ways. Anyways he tried to order them for me but hasn't been able to get ahold of any yet.

I didn't do much research after talking to him about them. About a month later I'm at a different store that id never been to before and I see they have uaru for 15 dollars, so I pick one up awsome looking juvi put him in my grow out tank with a bunch of sevrums and geos and boom two days later he dies I checked the water everything fine only fish in the tank that had a problem.

Anyways I'm not sure what I'm getting at with that except after he died I did a lot more research about them and found that they are very finicky and water quality must be near perfect. There similar to discus in that matter. People have reported having a hard time getting them to breed they lay but don't get any wigglers. Anyways just do a quick google search there's a few really good articles that will pop up. They used to be called the poor mans discus back before discus were tank breed.

Good luck I've yet to be able to find anymore or even anyone that is willing to order them for me.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pjsammut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Malbourne Australia
Thanks so much for your input guys. I have been searching for these for a very long time as they are really hard to acquire here in Australia, there is just something that I've always liked about them. I guess I will buy them and see how I go. I will take the advice given and may up water changes to 50% twice a week and u will move a few fish into a 125 gallon I have. Appreciate all the great advice.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Uaru aren't that sensitive to water quality. Maybe the fish was sick before you got it. Both Uaru and discus appreciate low nitrates and DOCs in water, but they don't just up and die. If anything, it's a long, slow process of the fish wasting away, getting skinny, developing hole-in-the-head, etc. Discus and Uaru may be a bit more demanding, but like any cichlid, they are tough as nails if you have healthy ones.

Uaru are usually pretty aggressive eaters if they are comfortable in their surroundings. With your group of fish they should have no issue holding their own at feeding time. In fact, you may need to keep an eye on them because they may end up pushier than your Geos. Their massive appetites are one of the reasons you'll have to really be on top of water quality.

pjsammut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Malbourne Australia
I've decided to move 4 of the rio tapajos to the 125 gal and house them with my 2 heckalii and 4 Geo Abalios. Once the uaru are out of quarantine I will start in 50% water changes twice a week. I think also I may get 4 instead of 6 as I am conscious of over crowding and also they are $55 bucks each so cost is a factor. Will post picks once they settle in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store