Bonsai Tree

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
I have been planning on getting one now for a while. While I continue with my research I thought it'd be cool to find out if anybody here has 1? Or has had 1 in the past? Please state the tree or plant you have and your maintanence routine. Also indoors or outdoors, lots of sun, ambient room light? This would REALLY help me so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE share your secrets ;).

I was thinking to start small. So far I have a braided money tree and I plan on getting either a juniper or a chinese elm or a grape vine, or a pomegranite tree, or idk to be quite honest...

Btw, bonsai is pronounced 'Bone Sigh.' 'Bonezai' litterally means death. So be sure not to get those two confused.

Its a Jersey Thing

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
All I know is that most don't do well in ambient lighting. Had a friend with a few indoor bonsai and he couldn't get then to grow fast enough to sculpt them until he added dedicated lighting for them. Full spectrum led works.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Ok so far I've narrowed down my choices to the following:
I am getting minimum of 3 bonsai 'trees'. Probably more though. Maybe even all of them.

Top choices:

Desert Rose Bonsai
Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai
***ien Tea Bonsai
Chinese Elm Bonsai
Chinese dwarf azalea Bonsai

A few unlikely but still possible sidelined possibilites:

Juniper Bonsai (love the look but I've been reading everywhere it will wither and die indoors but just in case...)
Dwarf Pomegranate Bonsai

Miscellaneous plants:

Peace lily
Lucky bamboo fence
Jasmine plant

Equipment:
Time release bonsai fertz
Trimming kit
Specially formulated bonsai soil
Spray bottle
Drip tray
I also LOVE these half water half land glazed pots I found. Its essentially a pot divided into 2 sections. I keep dwarf shrimps and moss in 1 part and I create a sloped hill with a drooping tree hanging over the water. Like a willow tree bonsai. Or like an umbrella tree bonsai (hard to kill). And then a tiny bridge across the center of the water.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Before you spend money on a tree, go get a sapling from your back yard, anything between 4 and 8 inches will do. Take as many roots as you can, plant it in a standard pot, nothing fancy. If you can keep that alive for mmmm a year, then go balls out. Take your first year and try to keep a tree alive that belongs in your zone, if you get that down, then start branching out and experimenting with other trees. That's my advice. Most of it from experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store