advise with injured baby I.T.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
looking for advise with my injured 2 inch IT ,
he's in a 75 gallon tank with 3 3 inch its, a 5 inch flagtail , 4 clown loaches and 2 bristlenose plecos.

what could have caused his wound? does it look like he lost his slime coat?he was already swimming funny yestderday morning, thought i'd lost him
I saw the clown loaches always chasing him during feeding time, but I'm suspecting my flagtail did this, though i can't imagine him staying put fior the flagtail to suck on him? any ideas?

I think he's out of danger now, I added some salt yesterday, but only a little amount in the morning as loaches don't like salt.
when i got home last night i added some Furazan . so far he's better today.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Just a guess but the plecos would be my #1 suspects. I've seen plecos go nuts on discus slime coat before and it wouldn't surprise me to see one try on a smaller datnoid. Get some Novaqua and just pour some in the tank, it's just a water conditioner but it's got a really nice slime coating that I've used for a while now. It works well with fish who've lost slime coat, had torn fins, bodily injuries, as a stress reducer etc. I love the stuff and it should help reduce stress regardless of the issue.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Just a guess but the plecos would be my #1 suspects. I've seen plecos go nuts on discus slime coat before and it wouldn't surprise me to see one try on a smaller datnoid. Get some Novaqua and just pour some in the tank, it's just a water conditioner but it's got a really nice slime coating that I've used for a while now. It works well with fish who've lost slime coat, had torn fins, bodily injuries, as a stress reducer etc. I love the stuff and it should help reduce stress regardless of the issue.
thanks :) I'm suspecting the flagtail as it also has strong sucking power .
hope my ITs slime coat recovers quickly.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
not really sure, but I don't have a heater in my tank.
I think it now has Fungus :( but unable to increase salt due to my loaches.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
might be the flagtail.. i kept a flagtail in a tank w/ a fish,, it sucked all the scales off the fish. keep him separated until it heals.. datnoids at that small size r very fragile

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
might be the flagtail.. i kept a flagtail in a tank w/ a fish,, it sucked all the scales off the fish. keep him separated until it heals.. datnoids at that small size r very fragile
thanks, Will be putting the flagtail back into my arowana tank.

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
not really sure, but I don't have a heater in my tank.
I think it now has Fungus :( but unable to increase salt due to my loaches.
increasing the salt would be fine for the loaches, i do that all the time to treat them with ich, just predissolved first

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks :) btw I've added a heater into the tank to try to raise the temperature to 30 Degrees celcius.
btw need your opinion, would it be better to transfer my small IT into a 2.5 gallon to treat him there? I can increase the salt to a high concentration of treated separately from the loaches, my concern is the size of the hospital tank might cause more stress?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store