Housing alligator gar with oscar

tigercat

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2012
winnsboro
I have a A. Gar and a Oscar in two different tanks. They are about the same length ,well the gar is a bit longer. My questions has any one kept this mix of fish together if so what were your results ?

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
I have a A. Gar and a Oscar in two different tanks. They are about the same length ,well the gar is a bit longer. My questions has any one kept this mix of fish together if so what were your results ?
Most people usually advise against oscars and gars being housed together for multiple reasons. I also advise against it. 2 aggressive fish put together usually doesn't equal success.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
Gars aren't aggressive at all. I keep Gator Florida and longnose gars

Sent from my XT603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Gator gars are aggressive. That being Said because they will eat anything an everything. Eventually even an oscar

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
Not if thay are the same size they only eat things that fit in there mouth. That's not being aggressive

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I have seen quite a few tanks with gars and Oscars

you've seen it doesn't mean it will work out for a long time!
Oscar, especially male oscar usually tend to attack and kill their tank mate when they reach the mature age. An oscar that about the same length as the gar is a much larger fish and will try to bully and eventually kill the gar! other than that, if the gar can out grow the oscar(this might only happen if the gar is a gator gar), thing will easily be other way around!

ignatius1988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Malta
I think they do not get along as Gator gar get bigger in future and oscar will be eaten. as long youve got a huge Fish tank(It need to be Mega huge) Thanks Ignatius

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
I have had jaguars and gars in the same tank for over a year and they do fine together. Even after the gar out grows the Oscar if they have been together for a Long time the gar will not look at it as a food item the Oscar might get rough with the gar at first but gars are tough fish they can handle a little picking on just keep an eye on the to make sure it don't get out of control. These people that are saying no probably have never tried it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store