Please read!

Conzmac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2012
USA
I recently purchased a "zig zag eel" from my lfs. They said he would get around 8 inches. Yesterday I went to another fish store and saw an eel that looked almost identical to mine and was at the very least 18 inches. The tag said tire track/zig zag eel. It said they can reach up to 30 inches. Right now he is about 7 inches. I would love to know what to expect in terms of length for this guy lol. I was told 8 inches and am thinking I may end up with 30? Ps. Before you say anything yes I know they are not true eels! Thank you in advance for any responses!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY

Conzmac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2012
USA
Yes they have many names, your lfs must have thought you'd put it in a 10gal, in which case it may hit 5-7", if you have some room 55+ look to see 20+" !

A 75-125 would be a good longterm home

_________________________________________________________________________http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

*Go S. Vettel #1 rb8--5 MORE RACES LEFT! LET'S MAKE IT 3 BACK TO BACK WINS/WDC!* :beer:
Yes he is in my 125 right now. That is excellent to hear! I was hoping he would get big! Thank you!

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Pic? If you can get a decent picture of him ideally with a halfway decent showing of it's sides and belly we can give you a positive ID. I'm guessing it's one of 3 species... expect min size to be 18" for any of these. Armatus, Favrus, of Dayii are teh 3 commonly mislabeled as zig zags... the first 2 liekly being the fish you have. If it has an unpatterned belly it's likely Armatus or less likely Dayii... THe first getting up to 30" full grown.. the second getting approx 18" .. Favrus will have an unbroken pattern extending under it's belly and get 18"+ but unlikely larger then 24"

Expect any of these fish to get 18"+ within' 1-2yrs. imo a 75 is min for any of them during this time with few tank-mates. I would give an Armatus the same tank needs as a Fire eel long-term, imo ideally something in the 300+ gallon range.

Also a warning I've had Armatus, and Dayii that ate small fish, these fish imo are more semi-aggressive then comm fish and often suitable tank-mates for the more docile cichlid species. Anything that can fit in their mouthes ( larger then they appear) are fair game to these predetors.

Now that I've scared you... imo these are one of the most rewarding fish to keep in the hobby, and worth every headache. They tame infinatly more then an Oscar and ime are far more intelligent. They are a true wet pet if you want something that interacts with it's owner, they are amazing fish to own.

Conzmac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2012
USA
Pic? If you can get a decent picture of him ideally with a halfway decent showing of it's sides and belly we can give you a positive ID. I'm guessing it's one of 3 species... expect min size to be 18" for any of these. Armatus, Favrus, of Dayii are teh 3 commonly mislabeled as zig zags... the first 2 liekly being the fish you have. If it has an unpatterned belly it's likely Armatus or less likely Dayii... THe first getting up to 30" full grown.. the second getting approx 18" .. Favrus will have an unbroken pattern extending under it's belly and get 18"+ but unlikely larger then 24"

Expect any of these fish to get 18"+ within' 1-2yrs. imo a 75 is min for any of them during this time with few tank-mates. I would give an Armatus the same tank needs as a Fire eel long-term, imo ideally something in the 300+ gallon range.

Also a warning I've had Armatus, and Dayii that ate small fish, these fish imo are more semi-aggressive then comm fish and often suitable tank-mates for the more docile cichlid species. Anything that can fit in their mouthes ( larger then they appear) are fair game to these predetors.

Now that I've scared you... imo these are one of the most rewarding fish to keep in the hobby, and worth every headache. They tame infinatly more then an Oscar and ime are far more intelligent. They are a true wet pet if you want something that interacts with it's owner, they are amazing fish to own.
Thank you for your response! I will have a picture up later today, if I can get him to come out of his cave for me haha. His tank mates include several angelfish, a clown knife, an african brown knife, a red tail shark, and a plecco. They will all be moved to a larger tank when they out grow the 125. The eel is the longest of any of these fish, about 7-8 inches the clown knife is about 6 or seven. They hang out in a dark castle in the tank. I rarely see the eel. Mostly when I turn on the light in the morning. Thank you for your help!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Conzmac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2012
USA

These were the best pictures I could get of him. He loves to hide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store