how do they do this

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I, briefly had one. Its very simple. Its all about water pressure. There is nothing crazy or complicated to them. I just never trusted it as something as simple as evaporation could leave you with a huge mess.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
If you've ever had one of the dog waterers with the dish on bottom that the big water bottle sits on top, it works the same way.
The water in the bottle trying to flow downward creates a vacuum that cannot be broken until air is let in. As your dog drinks, the water the level in the bottom dish drops low enough to go below the opening and lets air in, which allows the water in the bottle to flow into the dish, until the water in the dish comes up far enough to block air flow into the bottle and create suction again.

With an aquarium the open bottom of the aquarium is sitting under water so that air cannot be let in to break the suction, which would otherwise allow the water to go where it naturally tries to go (downward with gravity).
The water trying to flow downward in the aquarium creates suction, just as you can feel demonstrated by putting your hand over an open drain in a sink or tub full of water (you can feel the suction on your hand). Without somewhere to let in air, the water just creates suction against the aquarium, which has no give and no gaps, so the water stays in one place.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
If you've ever had one of the dog waterers with the dish on bottom that the big water bottle sits on top, it works the same way.
The water in the bottle trying to flow downward creates a vacuum that cannot be broken until air is let in. As your dog drinks, the water the level in the bottom dish drops low enough to go below the opening and lets air in, which allows the water in the bottle to flow into the dish, until the water in the dish comes up far enough to block air flow into the bottle and create suction again.

With an aquarium the open bottom of the aquarium is sitting under water so that air cannot be let in to break the suction, which would otherwise allow the water to go where it naturally tries to go (downward with gravity).
The water trying to flow downward in the aquarium creates suction, just as you can feel demonstrated by putting your hand over an open drain in a sink or tub full of water (you can feel the suction on your hand). Without somewhere to let in air, the water just creates suction against the aquarium, which has no give and no gaps, so the water stays in one place.
Nailed it. you can do the same thing at home. fill up your sink, put a cup in the water, turn it upside down and pull it out just far enough that the rim is still submerged. The only trick in this video is the air bubbles coming up that reduce the vacuum. The guys int he comments section said he had a vacuum pump to pull that out, so that probably helps with the suction with such a high water column.

Desdinova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2010
Kentucky
How does this work out in regard to the hydrostatic paradox? How would you figure out how thick the glass/acrylic needs to be?

I would expect that the highest standing bottomless tank would determine the water pressure against the sides of the tank (which are below the open surface of the water). I would also expect that the pressure on the bottomless tanks themselves would be a normal calculation on the basis of the height of the tank, starting from the level of the open surface of the water. But if I'm wrong, and the calculation needs to include the full depth from the bottom of the pond to the top of the bottomless tank... wild water kingdom...

Anyone know for sure, or have reasonable experience to presume different?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store