Marine ich

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Now I am really pissed. I just picked up a 6 line wrasse today that seemed really healthy at my lfs, so I get it home, acclimate for 1 hr, and get it in the tank. So after it is in the tank I notice some white spots in its tail, then I notice some white spots on its body and fins. So what do I do? It will only be in overnight and hopefully I can catch and return it to the lfs. Will the ich get into my other fish? I mean it isn't an EXTREME case, it seems to just be the start. I really think I should just quit with getting new fish :(.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
once its in your system, its in your system. if your other fish start showing symptoms you're gonna end up needing to do a hypo or copper treatment and QT new arrivals. i learned my lesson with a big outbreak in july/august and now every fish i get goes through QT and copper

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
So even if I bring it back my fish will get ich? What will I do with my corals?

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
not necessarily but it is introduced in your system and if your fishes immune system is impaired for any reason they can get it. The coral stays in the display tank while the fish are treated in another tank

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Well I can only get my hands on a 12 gal, and with a clown, Valentini, and wrasse I don't think that will work. Also I have read that ich attack won't harm corals, could I try that?

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Also it would just be a waste to return him as it would get the other fish stressed trying to catch the wrasse?

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
99.9% of "reef safe" ich treatments don't work. you can try it, and it may temporarily make the appearance of ick go away, but it isnt going to get rid of the parasite.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Ok final thing, I ordered some pods and cheato from reefcleaners and I am planning on putting them in my in tank refugium. They are being sent out on Monday. Should I cancel the order because of this ich? Or will they be ok. So I guess I should just keep the wrasse and not stress the fish. Also the best plan will be to keep good water and feed food soaked in garlic? Maybe a uv sterilizer? Where could I put a uv sterilizer if I got one? In my hob filter?

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
the pods and chaeto will be fine, for the time being soak the food in garlic and feed several times throughout the day small amounts when possible, keep the water as clean as possible etc, most sterilizers powerful enough to take on ick are quite large and even then they are best used as a preventative moreso than a cure.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I hate to say it but you keep doing this stuff to yourself by ignoring basic reefkeeping procedures - always quarentine and treat new fish prior to adding to the display. Reefing ain't easy - it damn sure isn't an overnight thing - it takes years and a whole bunch of 2 steps backwards to get one step forward. We try, sometimes we win, sometimes we lose but we keep on keepin' on and never stop learning.

I know cause everything that's happened to you has happened to me. I learned about calcium eating worms the hard way, had Ich outbreaks twice - 1st one was a disaster lost 9 fish, 2nd one a walk in the park no lose at all. Now inorder to save your live stock you'll learn how to QT and treat for parasites and what you learn will save you headaches in the future. You'll also learn to slow WAY down - like only adding things every few months not weeks. It's almost a given in SW - add something new every week - watch something old die every week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store