Reef Tank In A Flower Vase

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Is this possible? How hard is this to accomplish?

The owner of the vase started an article here. See link.
http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/18426-updates-on-the-reef-vase-started-2006/

A YouTube video of his reef vase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIwyXymjyrk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"Hello I have been looking around your site and it is filled with really well engineered reef tanks and pics. My work involves long term pico reefs that are designed to test allelopathy models among stony corals and are also aimed at uncovering the physicalities that limit the lifespan of small nano and pico tanks.I travel the boards sharing and collecting information to apply in my tanks and test the outcomes, probably the most helpful techniques Ive used from nr.com is the hamster bottle topoff system and peroxide dosing to control all algae unwanted in the tank.The vase has coralline and sps corals removed from it regularly for trade, and its been able to model several important techniques for increasing the lifespan in pico reefs ranging .5 to 3 gallons. if you look around on the internet, its hard or impossible to find pictures of a 3 gallon or less tank even just two years old but this can start to change with a change in method.its fun to come together to see what we've been doing wrong this last decade with our pico reefs, why were they so short lived?The cause of short lifespan (barring hardware failure) is using methods designed for large tanks on pico reef setups and nothing else. avoiding water changes based on fear of upsetting the ecosystem was the worst carry over.the combining factors to make a pico reef tank live indefinately:-dosing of two part solutions relative to the age and water change regimen for a given pico reef (a certain method of dosing C balance which factors diurnal carbon dioxide cycles in the reef aquarium)-a feeding system that overdrives the tank but does not cause nutrient problems for the tank (coupled feeding/water changes and stocking reef animals that adapt to weekly or bi weekly feeding)-stopping or reducing evaporation to levels so that salinity control is the easiest function of the pico reef-using non natural algae control methods so tedious water testing is not required-methods to deal with sandbed incursion and nutrient sinking in the pico reef deeps sand bed-occasional power flushing of the complete system without takedown, where 20x tank volume is poured through the reef to export accumulations (an opposite system to the 20 year old hands off approach where nutrient sinking is linear accumulative)pico reef science is its own beast, not much transfers into this realm from the work of large tank care so its fun to ride a new wave of coral husbandry. If anyone is having problems with their pico reefs, or with pico reef pests like red brush algae, cyano or bryopsis, or slow coral growth, there are easy corrections to make and its based on a decade of observations from just this one system~ lets talk nano science if anyone is interestedBhere's a quick vid I made to match the pics"

uploadfromtaptalk1350777472916.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1350777570060.jpg

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
Very interesting never seen this before. Its been awhile since I been into Reef keeping. Seeing this setup makes me want to try it. The only problem I see is keeping temperature down with all those lights so close to the glass. He says he runs his a home air conditioner to keep the ambient air cold that could get expensive. Other then coming up with another cheaper method of keeping the vase from overheating this seems very doable.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Very very cool.

Not sure it deserves the work it implies, but it is awesome, in any case.

brandon429

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
tx
Hi peeps its mine

:)

I was randomly searching around for pico discussions when I found this thread...saw it was from last month thought Id pop in

this vase is actually the first gallon pico reef ever to hold sps coral and grow them, and its the longest running pico reef in the world no joke...throwing out that detail to demonstrate how sound the concept is. Regarding temps the system runs about 2 degrees above ambient room temps, and we like our pico reefs at max 81 degrees, so if any of you keep your home at 79 I couldn't stand that heat sans tank anyway lol

If you use led's, then it will be about equal to ambient temp. these old power compact lights are warmer...

so the system has 16 kinds of coral grown long term in the vase, its running about seven years continually now, I get really lucky with no large poweroutages, thats the one thing that will kill the tank quite easily although recently I bought a battery backup pump.

The reason I designed this in the vase is because its actually cheaper and more stable than larger reefs. of any size. This one gallon vase goes longer in between freshwater additions (topoff) than a 200 gallon reef due to the lid design. If you wanted to know how hard it is to keep one, here's my weekly task list exactly.

To build one, google my article "the history of pico reef biology" about this vase being the first gallon pico reef with stony coral reproduction and it will have all the build steps and pics. it also shows my even smaller half gallon reef that does not evaporate at all, it doesn't use topoff at all.

weekly:

sunday feed the aquarium a huge amount of very expensive frozen reef food, the amount you'd put in a 20 gallon tank.

change out all the water two hours later. not some, all of it. this energizes the reef and mimics the fringing reef zone in natural settings, it feeds every animal and yet exports all the waste quickly after.

monday dose in the morning with calcium
tuesday " " with alkalinity
wed add one ounce of water dose w calcium
thurs alk
friday I usually feed again and change another gallon or if Im busy just skip feeding and dose calcium
saturday add an ounce of freshwater

sun repeat

but these things are costly, there is about two grand in frags in my little vase. I just know one day it will get shattered by a broom handle or something but in the meantime its going strong, just thought you all might want to have all the details...its no fad, its real science, the first pico reef you can find on the web...there is a going challenge to find pics or vid of a gallon reef older than this one and post it@!!

brandon429

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
tx
stable is a relative term btw...the keepers of large reefs wouldn't agree its more stable but heres my digression:

-the salinity is 10x more stable than any reef tank of any size
-the ability to change out all the water and only use a gallon makes the chemistry far more stable, again without all these pumps, bells and whistles, I have less failure points on my tank which attributes the long life span
-when animals die in a big reef you come home to a bleached, wiped out $4k mess so to speak. By not using fish, there's nothing to die in this tank, so when I leave for vacations I know for a fact if the hardware works the reef will be alive when I get back

its less stable in actual physicality since its cheap hobby glass and its far more susceptible to temp swings and death if my ac goes out. So large tanks obviously have me beat on some fronts, just not the critical ones:)

It is far far easier for a beginner to keep a reefbowl than it is any other tank where you constantly jack with varying additive and filtration systems...this is the ideal beginner reef tank. Anyone who says differently just hasn't kept one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store