Transporting Dats

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing a 12" Indo Tiger this weekend, the guy selling it is 1.5 hours away from me and says he wont deliver it as they travel very badly and thinks it might die before it gets home... what do you guys think? should I risk going to get it? it's £130 so I dont want to waste money or put a nice fish at risk... how do you lot transport these? any particular things I should know/do?

Thanks all
Sam

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
There's several good hobbyist in the UK that are familiar with Dat transport. Perhaps, some of them will chime in soon. Good luck

8usmickey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
NY
Best way is to first tell the seller to STARVE it for three full days so during the transport it won't poop in the water and make the water poison.. Bring a decent size container and bring a battery operated airpump with airstone to keep water aerated too. It can stay alive for 3 days

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
It varies from fish to fish, but generally bigger fish are riskier. I sold my old 22" jardini to a guy from another state in winter season, and it traveled fine with aerator and heat pack in a big cooler for 3-4 hours. I also transported a 17" pink giant gouramis in a clean trash container without aerator for almost a day and the fish was fine. However my most recent transport of a 11"-12" dist. lussoso failed, with aerator and a big container in a 3-hour drive. The only thing I didn't do as a buyer was, I forgot to ask the seller to starve the fish 1-2 days prior to the transport. And the fish died within 30 minutes after being acclimated into its new home. Another much smaller fish, 2.5" NTT, survived the same transport however, in a separate container, and still swims around this morning. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
+1 to 8usmickey comment. Starve for few days or will puke and crap the water to poison. I just transported 4 dats to my new home 4 hours away, 12in 9in 7in 6in. Just used 5gal pails, and keep temp in check n should b fine. Just make sure new tank cycled! Also, getting a 12v inverter to run air pump from car couldn't hurt, but 1.5 hrs not to far. Just put fish in decent amount of water n you'll b fine

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tamllizz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Orange county California
Make sure the fish you are buying dont have cloudy eyes, cause they could react fast and damage dats eyes. I drove 2 hours before with my 7 inches dat in a bucket with no air pump or heater and hes fine , as long as you have the tank ready when you get home. So the fish can swim freely in the new tank.

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
i agree with using a bucket and airstone... dats have large and sharp spines on their back that can easily puncture the bag, and i also agree that not feeding for 3-4 days prior to transport.... goodluck, but an hour and a half drive should be no problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
FYI I have got the fish home safe and sound and after a bit of worrying me he seems to have settled into his new tank nicely... photos to follow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store