Monster fish with monster plants !

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
I know its a very hard thing to have a planted monster tank. I seem to have a good start with it tho !

WHY DO I WANT PLANTS? I love the look of nature, the unhealthiest live plants looks 100x better then the best fake plant. Also The fact that it helps with your levels and your water ! Helping with the water is also a huge bonus for us ! less W/C ! We all know water bills can stack up in this hobby so im willing to try anything to keep them down ! lol...

I have one small peice of wood with java fern rooted all on it, and it is doing very well... Water is crystal clear, my lighting is going to be changed up a bit but hey its still nice.
I was thinking what other plants take in the nutrients through their leaves? Or will a plant like amazon sword that takes nutrients through its roots do well ? Maybe help keep the gravel a little more clean ?

Here is a shot of my tank

London-20121020-00711.jpg

JamesF

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Thunder Bay
All plants take up nutrients through their leaves.
The biggest hurdle when planting with monster fish is getting the plants established without being uprooted. I always try to plant the tank for a month or two before the fish go in. That lets their roots get a grip on the substrate and makes your battle that much easier.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
All plants take up nutrients through their leaves.
The biggest hurdle when planting with monster fish is getting the plants established without being uprooted. I always try to plant the tank for a month or two before the fish go in. That lets their roots get a grip on the substrate and makes your battle that much easier.
Perfect ! I just use a little trick my buddy showed me. Elastic bands will stay on for about two months, then become brittle and break off and get snagged by the filter intake. Just take it out and tada! I usually make them root to wood, but with amazon sword Im going to elastic it to a rock then burry the roots.. Sound like a good idea ?

Reactions: DUTCH101

jlennon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
Delaware
You could try a Indian swamp weed. Sorry I cannot think of the technical name.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1350961665.129581.jpg

Fish_Man_Dan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
fort lauderdale, FL
I plan to do a similar theme, but my tank will have two Oscars, so gravel rooted plants are a no-no for me. I'm going to attach anubias, java fern, and maybe Val with the base surrounded by rocks to protect it from the Oscars digging.

Good luck, it looks good!

Home of Fugly the Oscar (ACA)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store