Entering the EEL's World

BaTsBR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Brasil
Hi there

Have been on the jumbo fishes for some time, and nowadays been addicted to a new kind, the eels;
Have seen some around here - Brazil- and it's not very commom, but can be found sometimes.

Ask to some friends if it were possible to get one and put in with the fishes I already had, and since the answer was positive, started to look, search, study this fishes.
Not surprisingly, got attached to them.

Fire eels is kind difficult right now, so I got other ones.

This are my new babies.

Tire Track Eel
has about 11 to 12 cm, just received, and its going to its tank in some hours.

in this circle, I noticed this marks.
Don't know if its normal or result from the transport and stress.
If you guys could tell me, I would really apreciated.

This one I already had, about a week ago, lol, a tiger eel.
Size about 7 cm

As always, hope to learn a lot here, as I did with polypterus, gars, catfishes, datniods, giant gouramis....

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
The mark you circled looks like the gill plate.. its pretty common for them to look red as they are often exposed to ammonia during shipment/xfer/ store tanks ect... good clean water should get rid of this in a few days. Your tiger eel, known to me as a zig zag is a cute little guy. If you plan on keeping these two eels together be careful of aggression issues. Your tire track is cute, hard to tell in your pictures if he is a Favrus or Armatus.

george09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
peterborough on
yea she will ok there a durable fish for sure. Both those eel are lookers, Armatus i would say for sure. what else u got in with them, they eating out of your hand yet ?

BaTsBR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Brasil
Tks monsterminis and george.
Good to know this little guy will be fine.
For now they're separeted from the others in their growout tank. Both are eating live brine shrimp and I ordered some bw too, can't find some in my city.
In the future the plans is to put them if the rest of my monsters, some polypterus delhezi, ornatus and endlicheri, a florida gar, giant gouramis and a datnoid.
Some friends here told me it's fine, so I'll give it a shot.
I'll try to take better pics, just wait to the boy or girl.to get usedd in the new tank.
And not tried to handfeed them yet, but I'll soon.

And if my english is not very clear, sorry, it's been some time I don't practice, lol.
Tks again.

Sent from my GT-S7500L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BaTsBR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Brasil
friends, new pics from the eels

I tried to take better shots from the tire track, sold to me as armatus, hope it helps

Tire Track

Tiger Eel

this one I've been feeding only with brine shrimp, and the color of its tail got a little red.
don't know if its normal or another cause.
didn't notice if they're getting a fight, and as long as I see, nothing happen.

that's it folks.
hope you can help me, personally, I don't like to have a fish without knowing if it's the right species I bought.

Had a friend once that bought a supposely festae, and when it gorws, it wasn't the right fish...

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
Tks monsterminis and george.
Good to know this little guy will be fine.
For now they're separeted from the others in their growout tank. Both are eating live brine shrimp and I ordered some bw too, can't find some in my city.
In the future the plans is to put them if the rest of my monsters, some polypterus delhezi, ornatus and endlicheri, a florida gar, giant gouramis and a datnoid.
Some friends here told me it's fine, so I'll give it a shot.
I'll try to take better pics, just wait to the boy or girl.to get usedd in the new tank.
And not tried to handfeed them yet, but I'll soon.

And if my english is not very clear, sorry, it's been some time I don't practice, lol.
Tks again.

Sent from my GT-S7500L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The tiger (zig zag) eel will not be able to go with your other monsters and he will only max out in the six range of 6-8". The tire track will get plenty large enough though :)

BaTsBR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Brasil
I tought zig zag and the tire track was the same eel, tks wikipedia lol...

In fact, the guy from the lfs I bought it said it could get to 35 cm, so I tried, but, I saw it can reach for 20 to 25 cm...
If I couldn't stay with it, I'll pass to friend.
But, the tire track I bought to put it in the bigger tank.
tks dahawkster

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
I tought zig zag and the tire track was the same eel, tks wikipedia lol...

In fact, the guy from the lfs I bought it said it could get to 35 cm, so I tried, but, I saw it can reach for 20 to 25 cm...
If I couldn't stay with it, I'll pass to friend.
But, the tire track I bought to put it in the bigger tank.
tks dahawkster
The tire track is mistaken all the time. You have to go by species name otherwise you don't have a clue what you bought haha. The true tire track you have will be a big beauty one day!

BaTsBR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Brasil
fingers crossed man

by the way, good to know this baby is a true tt.
and I like the zigzag too, wish i could keep it together.

OR, in another project.
pretending to come back to discus someday, and it would be nice if the zigzag could stay with them.
but, this is only something in my mind, not sure yet.

tks again folks

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
yep def an Armatus. zig zag might work with discus, long as your not trying to breed them should be fine from a compatability perspective. Not sure if they will do well in the higher temps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store