New Salt water Tank Or Old Fresh water tank

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Only allowed to keep one tank, should I make my new 150 gal tank into a saltwater tank or a freshwater tank? I can't decide... I'm upgrading my from my 30 gallon tank, and I have a few fish; I can't decide whether to let go of my old fish, or have a giant freshwater with only a few fish...

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
My current tank has 2 glass cats, 1 Pleco, 1 Betta, 1 Chinese Algae Eater, 1 Synodontis Cat Fish, 1 Kuhli Loach. Anything I can add that'll fill the 150 gal tank and be campatible with the fish I have now. Or should I get larger fish and adopt out my fishies :/???

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
My current tank has 2 glass cats, 1 Pleco, 1 Betta, 1 Chinese Algae Eater, 1 Synodontis Cat Fish, 1 Kuhli Loach. Anything I can add that'll fill the 150 gal tank and be campatible with the fish I have now. Or should I get larger fish and adopt out my fishies :/???
I would take away beta, kuhli loach. Then add a lot more glass cats and do an angel fish community with rams and some schooling fish

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Do your research, there are a lot of fish that can live in a 150, the fish you have are small community fish that would feel small even in a 50 gallon tank. IF you have the money and time to set up a marine aquarium then I highly recommend it, but the equipment and initial set up is a lot more costly than a freshwater tank. but well worth it if you are after a kick ass marine aquarium.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Does it have a sump or what is your filter? 150 gal is to small for fresh water agressive fish I think, but a salt water with live rock and fish (no corals so dont need the crazy filtration and lighting) would be cool. Get a lion fish and eel, plenty of smaller aggresive fish for marine ! I might be going that way with my 300... also with 150 gallon FOWLR tank you dont need as much live rock ! 50 lbs of porus big peices would be fine !

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Yeah I read about the chinese algae eaters being aggressive, was sold it at a petco a couple months ago, was going to get it out of my tank, but haven't really seen aggression since it got fat and lazy. It's growing fast, both it and the pleco will eventually get large. I've seen some large synos too. If I can find someone to adopt it out I will, just having a hard time, plus got attached :(

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Equipment I have right now are two penn plascade 1000 (100 gallon capacity) filters, two 80 gallon protein skimmers, 2 hydor inline heaters 300 watt, and a mag drive danner 950 gph pump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store