10g reef

nevets9333

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2012
New Hampshire
Hello MFK,

I am new to the forum and I am looking for help on my soon to be nano reef. I have two freshwater tanks right now and I know a 10g is not ideal as a first saltwater tank, but it is all I have room for right now. I am planning on using about 10lbs of live rock and a couple inches deep sand bed (5-10lbs?). I can find my own heater, but I want to make sure the other supplies I am looking at will work. I am trying to bargain shop, which is not easy when starting a saltwater tank.

I found this light and was wondering what types of corals it would support if any on a 10g or if anyone has had experience with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Re...510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416d7c8da6

This is the powerhead I am mostly likely to purchase.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia...TF8&qid=1351696214&sr=1-20&keywords=powerhead

I have seen different opinions on whether I would need a filter or not on the 10g. Any suggestions for one? Also, I have read about the ro/di systems. Should I invest in one of those as well?

I appreciate any help or suggestions! Thank You!

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Ill be honest, if you are looking for bargains i wouldnt start a salt tank. Especially a 10 gal reef

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nevets9333

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2012
New Hampshire
I just don't want to spend more money than I need to. That was a light I found that is cheap compared to others I have looked. If it wouldn't work than I would go with others that are more expensive, but just wondering if I could effectively hold corals with that LED.

Joee3196

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2011
New york
the light u mentioned probably wouldent work that well led can be harsh on corals it can burn or bleach them i would go with a t5 or evin a power compact. but that power head will be great

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
The T5 should grow anything you want with the limited depth of a 10 gal tank however alot SPS + LPS corals can get crowded in that size. They don't stay frags forever. I'd rather have 2x 100gph Nano pumps on opposite sides of the tank rather than 1x 240gph. Try looking for a HOB skimmer combo w/ Purigien or Chem Pure Elite as the media. and Yes - look into RO/DI water systems for a reef. If you go stoney corals probably gonna want to look into a GFO reactor + 2 part dosing system aswell.

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
The T5 should grow anything you want with the limited depth of a 10 gal tank however alot SPS + LPS corals can get crowded in that size. They don't stay frags forever. I'd rather have 2x 100gph Nano pumps on opposite sides of the tank rather than 1x 240gph. Try looking for a HOB skimmer combo w/ Purigien or Chem Pure Elite as the media. and Yes - look into RO/DI water systems for a reef. If you go stoney corals probably gonna want to look into a GFO reactor + 2 part dosing system aswell.
If its only a 10 gallon, and water is about 25¢ a gallon... I wouldn't spend $100+ on an RO system.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas

nevets9333

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2012
New Hampshire
Awesome, I have an aquaclear 30 hanging around somewhere that I could use with just the carbon and see how that works. I am in between using the two smaller PH instead of the one larger, but still researching. I think I am going to wait on a RO system till I get a lager tank. As for the light should I think I am going to go with the Nova, just wondering if it would be worth going with the 24in fixture instead of the 18in. Thank you for your help!

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I would go with the 18" fixture because a 10gal is only 16" long. You dont need an RO system for that small of a tank. What i do with my 5.5gal reef is buy gallons of purified water on sale. Its like 4 gallons for 3 dollars. Your only gonna be doing a gal W/C a week so...

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store