Would You Still Enjoy the Hobby as much having tanks in the Garage?

WaterPredators

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 28, 2009
Home
Would you still enjoy the hobby as much having tanks in the Garage? How many hours a day do you spend in the garage looking at fish? Are you married with kids. I am trying to find out if I would still enjoy the hobby as much having my tanks in the garage and can only spend an hour a day to feed, look at, and maintain. I have a wife to report to so I cannot spend numerous hours in the garage looking at fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Mine is in the garage and love it. No room in the house for this big boy. There are tons of people on here with tanks in garages.
uploadfromtaptalk1351791365651.jpg

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I'd like, put a TV or computer in there or something too. That way you can spend more time there doing other things (a hobby maybe?) and still be around your fish. My 2 cents, from somebody who will likely never own a garage. (NYC ftl!)

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
I dont think I would. I love my fish because they are in my bed room (currently) So have my tv and computer and desk for studying... So yeah, but once I move out It will be back inthe living room (had to move home for last year of school, ran outa money haha)

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Pros:
In the event of tank failure, you probably aren't looking at thousand of dollars worth of damage.
Time spent checking on tank will likely be much more serene, away from the hustle and bustle (wife and kids) in the house.
Cons:
Less likely to catch issues (ie- heater failure or leaks) as quickly.
Not being able to appreciate the tank while in the house.

I have my tank in a detached pool room and I really like the fact that it's not in my house. I don't worry about it failing (if the thing blows out, I don't really care, since the water damager will not affect my home). I also find that when I do take the time to go out to feed or just check on the tank, I enjoy it much more...it's a serene getaway from the TV, roommate, etc.

I say go for it.

To answer your questions: No wife, no kids and I spend on average 30 to 60 minutes per day checking out or working on the tank.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Absolutely - probably more!

I converted half of our detached 2.5-car garage in California to a fishroom... which allowed me to get more tanks, simplify maintenance (auto-water-changing system) and really take fishkeeping to the next level. My last two places have had basement fishrooms, which are also preferable (to me at least) to having tanks all over the house...

Matt

karaig19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2012
In the Ocean
honestly it wouldnt matter to me but as long as im with the fish of my choice. you should always make a visit to your monsters adleast once a day. There like little kids!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store