What can I put instead of a fuge?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everybody,

I've always had problems in growing macro for some reason never notice a growth in them or anything don't know what I'm doing wrong. Well Ive been doing tons of research for my aunt on her soon to be freshwater tank (dark side)...if I was to take out all the sand and few bits of chaeto what kind of media or medias should I put in thier? I have a big fuge compartment so lots of space...

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
you wont always notice all that much growth, its possible that there just isn't much nutrition in your tank which would keep growth down, what kind of light are you using on your fuge? Either way, the point of a fuge isnt to grow macros (unless they are being used as a suplimental food source for herbavours) the point is to keep your parms clean and reduce algae in the display.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Imhey kev i used the 5000 watt bulb when display tank is off... Dont know why but i still get tons of algae, and also my bio load has increased and i feel like my fuge aint doing much for filteration in my tank IMO, which is why id rather just add another kind of filter media. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I'm thinking about taking everything out of the fuge... and add 5 gallons worth of pond matrix as I heard it has so much surface area for beneficial bacteria. I'm just trying to see if it will work in saltwater

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
You could try an algae scrubber in place the macros, they are almost always more effective. Other then that you could use media like Pond matrix for BB. Just make sure there is enough waterflow through the fuge as without sufficient waterflow it will be far less effective.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
How much waterflow do you think is enough? Also how can you tell?

Don't know if you know it but do you think I should put lets say an air wand underneath it? Like I would put like a little table of eggcrate and the pond matrix on it with air bubbles underneath

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I'm running right a 72 gallon bowfront with a 33 gallon sump, I could grab dementions of water depth and such of the sump if needed.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store