Newbie to Marine

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
Hi,

After setting up a tank for the King of fw fishes Peacock Bass lol, I have decided to try my luck with saltys :)

Although I have been keeping fish for 20+yrs I am... well was until a month ago clueless about marines/reefs !

Ive bought a new tank 36x18x24"(tall) with sump. Small I know compared to some set-ups but its a start !

24sump.jpg36x24x18.jpgweir.jpg

Anyway, after a month or so of me getting acquainted with this 'strange' new way of fishkeeping im finally ready
to dive in, I think :)

So the set up will be :

-50GPD 4 stage RO Unit
-V2 400 skimmer w/ Rio 2100 pump
-Ehiem compact 3000 plus, return pump
-200w Ehiem Jager Heater
-Maxspect Razor 160W (1600K) led lighting
-Boyu WM-4 Wavemaker, 300l
-20-25kg Live Rock
-10-15kg Live Sand

to be added at a later date if needed :

-Auto Top Up
-Vecton 300 UV sterilizer
-Phosphate reactor
-Tunze or Hydor Wavemaker
-Refugium, Chaeto

Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Jay

24sump.jpg

36x24x18.jpg

weir.jpg

rusland005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2011
Here, there, everywhere.
Great tank for starting out. The Maxspect is a real good light.

Your phosphate reactor I would run as soon as possible, like when the water hits the tank - get it on. Will help prevent any issues in the future.

Tunze are great powerheads (I've had Vortech MP40's, Hydor, cheap unbranded ones and Tunze) they are by far the best IMO.

Skimmer isn't great but it should do the job for now,

Apart from that - sounds spot on!

Any stocking plans yet?

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
thanks for the pointers I will get a Phos reactor set up with the tank :)

No stock plans just yet, want to get the tank up and running first

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
Just been looking up Phos reactors and im gonna go with the Aqua Medic Phosphafilter with a Ehiem compact 2000 (turned down) this way I can attach a Vecton 300 sterilizer in future without buying a new pump :)

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I would actually reccommend the phosban reactor instead of the aquamedic. Also a uv sterilizer is unnessecary

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
I would actually reccommend the phosban reactor instead of the aquamedic. Also a uv sterilizer is unnessecary

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Ill look into that one thanks. I thought the UV would be unessecary but atleast by getting the higher flow rate pump it leaves my options open to add another reactor etc without upgrading the pump

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
As an experienced FW guy you will find SW much easier when the tank is settled ( one year for it to be entirely settled )

I did not do the maths and being from the continent, do everything metric, but i think you could do better with more live rock and a deeper bed of sand.

Being a Monster guy, am waiting to see your choice of fish material to put in there. want a dog, a glasssbanging know your owner beastiie? Dog faced Puffer. Cannot go wrong....

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
As an experienced FW guy you will find SW much easier when the tank is settled ( one year for it to be entirely settled )

I did not do the maths and being from the continent, do everything metric, but i think you could do better with more live rock and a deeper bed of sand.

Being a Monster guy, am waiting to see your choice of fish material to put in there. want a dog, a glasssbanging know your owner beastiie? Dog faced Puffer. Cannot go wrong....
Haha nice one Miguel,

think ill be ok on the live rock, basically 1kg for every 2 gallons, tank is 47 gallons so 20-25kg should do it..... I hope lol. I'll just add to it if need be.

As for fish sp. Im going to go small... tangs, dwarf angels, wrasse ect, but like you said im a Monster Guy so an upgrade could come very soon, lol.
Morays, Bamboo Sharks, Lionfish and 'yes' Dog faced Puffers :)

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
There are some morays and scorpions that are good for smaller tanks....should look into that before dismissing preds as options for the tank

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
There are some morays and scorpions that are good for smaller tanks....should look into that before dismissing preds as options for the tank
This was the deal:
I can spend a fortune on a new tank but the missus picks the fish, haha! Dorys and Nemos most likely!

Ill get my way though! Ill look into these cheers mate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store