Pond Matrix?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everybody,

Does anyone use pond matrix in thier sumps? It is is very porous thus meaning it has loads of surface area for beneficial bacteria. I was thinking like in my other thread, of tearing out my fuge and filling it up with this. Since in the first compartment I have a filter sock and skimmer I figure this media will help more in filtration.

Let me know of your opinion because I have the opportunity to make an order soon and split shipping.

Thanks Everyone

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I use it in my sump on my 750g. I went to Walmart and bought zip up mesh bags by the laundry section and threw it all in there. I noticed a big difference in nitrates after the first week. I'm going to buy 20l more and utilize more space that I have. It's expensive but I love it

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I have 5 gallons between two of my Eheim 2260's. Great stuff. I used it in my sump as well. Just go to Wallmart and get a laundry bag before you put it in the sump. It's a PITA to pull out individually.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey thanks for the replies, I heard somewhere you don't need to replace nor clean it because it would damage the beneficial bacteria is that true?

Apparently using mechanical filteration (filter sock) as well as skimmer... I will look into it more

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Hey thanks for the replies, I heard somewhere you don't need to replace nor clean it because it would damage the beneficial bacteria is that true?

Apparently using mechanical filteration (filter sock) as well as skimmer... I will look into it more
There is no need to replace the media. Its good to clean it wvery few months though but you don't rinse it in tap water. I suggested the laundry bag so you can pull it out easily and dunk it in tank water in a bucket and put right back in.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store