When hyposality doesnt work, whats next?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ok my 120's been in hypo for almost 3 months. 1.009 at it lowest. Its 1.011 currently and all my fish but the original carrier are cured. Its a 8" stars and stripes puffer that caused all the problems in the first place . I plan on removing him soon and raising the level back to normal. Whats the best way/meds to treat him? I have a 40 breeder cycling for him at 1.011. I believe he needs some sort of chemical bath for an extended period of time lol. I will adjust the salt in his 40 back to normal over time before i use any chemicals as im pretty sure hypo and chemicals is a deadly cocktail. Any info on good products for ich treatment is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Why don't you try giving him a freshwater bath, before going the chemical way

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
If you want chemical imho, copper is the way to go, but in a hospital tank, because all bio life will die

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I'd be hesitant to use copper with puffers...wouldn't formalin be a better choice

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I would do fw dip all the way

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Hes been dipped before with no sucess...i left him in for around 4 minutes, worth a shot again i suppose. I'd just like to treat him at this point. Hes a super healthy eater and has grown atleast 4" since ive had em. While in hypo his ich will come and go, my other stock is ich free and has been so for 2 months. Idk if i dropped my salt so gradually that the disease adapted aswell? All my live rock, coral and aptasia all diead off within the first month. Glad the aptasia is gone though just in awe the ich can survive at a 1.009 level

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
why did you leave him for 4 minutes and not longer? Has he turned belly up in that time?

I hqve seen, and given, 10 minutes dips. Main thging is to end it when they "turn"...

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
After 4 min. He became very erratic, breathing hard and i was worried about killing him in fresh water for any longer. Im surprised you dip your fish for up to 10 min. When dipping for that long what are the warning signs to look for for the time to return the fish to salt? Im just not comfortable leaving them in that long

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
After 4 min. He became very erratic, breathing hard and i was worried about killing him in fresh water for any longer. Im surprised you dip your fish for up to 10 min. When dipping for that long what are the warning signs to look for for the time to return the fish to salt? Im just not comfortable leaving them in that long

The guys from TMC ( Tropical Marine Centre ) do 10 minute dips.....

You have to stay on top of it, never leaving your eyes of the fish.

Warning sign for immediate removal is tendency for belly up. Stress is normal, and understandable. I would say 10 mimutes is max, but the belly up is the immediate stop warning sign.

It is a horrible procedure to watch.

With the gulper you need special atention for it no to gulp air.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks for all the info miguel...it is a horrible thing to watch hah...def. y i took this guy out after 4 min. Im going to try one more time before i move him to a hospital tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store