Need an Eel recommended

MITSUTECH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
MARYLAND
95Harley;646343; said:
Thinking of turning my new 180 to Salt. The plan would be 2 Volitan Lionfish (have 1 already), a Miniatus grouper (already have), & Harliquin Tusk. And I would think 1 eel.

Any recommendations on a large eel or some other good tankmates.
I have a zebra in my 150 with a mix of triggers,angels,and a red corris wrasse.The zebra is my favorite eel of all you get big size but no attitude.yes they lack the the fish eating teeth however you dont have to worry about your lion getting pulled down at feeding time.Ive had mine for about 3 years with all kind of fish never any problem.I love your purposed list of fish the tank will be awsomedont skimp on filtration and youll do fine.keep me posted and good luck

95Harley

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Actually laying awake last night and thinking I came up with a new plan. I'm going to reduce a couple of guys out of my 240 Fresh tank and move all my freshwater fish to the 180 as it has no overflow and just a plain flourescent strip light.

Then I'm going to clean out my 240 with dual overflows, 2 powerheads, and a wet/dry, with retro fit compact flourscent blue and 10k lights and make this my Salt tank.

My 75 Salt will become my grow out / hospital tank.

Does this change the eel list? Would a Golden Tail eel be possible...maybe a yellow morph.

Brooklynella

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
LI, NY
95Harley;646769; said:
Actually laying awake last night and thinking I came up with a new plan. I'm going to reduce a couple of guys out of my 240 Fresh tank and move all my freshwater fish to the 180 as it has no overflow and just a plain flourescent strip light.

Then I'm going to clean out my 240 with dual overflows, 2 powerheads, and a wet/dry, with retro fit compact flourscent blue and 10k lights and make this my Salt tank.

My 75 Salt will become my grow out / hospital tank.

Does this change the eel list? Would a Golden Tail eel be possible...maybe a yellow morph.

I think you could pretty much get what you want. Eels generally feel most comfortable tucked into a tight spot so it's not accurate to count even a large eel as a free swimming fish (Provided your filtration and maint is adequete). Thus, a 4' eel is happy (And healthy) in a relatively small tank. Go ahead and argue with me, I don't care.;)
Snowflakes are the exception in that they are pretty mobile and have an impact on the environment.

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
u will love miniatus grupers they are soo cool and they eat voraciously u could get a zebra eel or a candy eel.

95Harley

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Don4921;646842; said:
u will love miniatus grupers they are soo cool and they eat voraciously u could get a zebra eel or a candy eel.
Already love my Miniatus. That's why I'm converting my 240 to salt so I don't have to get rid of him.

Candy Eel? Never heard of it......any other info?

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
agreeive?fish;648255; said:
A EXTREMLEY tight fitting lid with NO openings ..or you will find your eel on the floor dried up and dead the next day......
AGREED!!

Seems the larger eaals are even better at this than the small ones.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
if you can afford one best looking eel is the hawian snowflake being my second fav what are the dimensions on the 240

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store