Alligator gar in IL winter

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
I'm wondering if I can have my Gator gar in a out door pond as long as I keep it from freezing over all the way

from my XT603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
Here's some info I found searching on the internet

Alligator Gar reintroduction to Illinois The US fish and wildlife service has released Alligator Gar into Rice lake, Banner Marsh,state fish and wildlife areas in Fulton county,and Hennepin-Hopper lakes in Putnam county in 2010. Reports say the reintroduction seems to be going well. Following similar efforts will be in near-by states of Kentucky, Missouri and Arkansas. Alligator Gar can grow to 10' and weigh up to 300#. The fish and wildlife service are hoping the gar can possible aid in the battle to control Asian carp. I have mixed emotions about this Gar being in my River,I guess its supposed to be there so its good to have it return,or is it? Guess we will see how it goes,they may not be able to live in these waters

Sent from my XT603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

karaig19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2012
In the Ocean
I would slowely adjust him to cold water, chances are he was bread in captivity and has been in warm water his whole life.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-it's very size dependent too...if it is a YOY (young of year) fish, then definitely don't do it...no time to condition at this point. even if it is a year or two and ~16-20" you could be looking at trouble depending on the weight and acclimation time of the fish. large specimens are your best bet--
--SRD

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
As Solomon indicated, there are plenty of factors that come into play for transitioning a gar to living outdoors year-round. Size, age, weight, & locality/genetics all come into play when determining if a gar will be able to successfully make it through the winter. Conditioning & the actual pond itself are major factors as well.

I have successfully overwintered my longnose gars for two winters and overwintered my alligator gars for one winter without any noticeable issues. My two longnose gars were collected locally which almost guaranteed that they had the genetic capability to deal with the winter. They seemed to do very well during their first winter despite still being YOY gars (albeit fattened ~18" ones); that pond was only around 500 gallons and almost completely froze over a few times during that winter. They appear to have taken their second winter in stride as well although that was a much milder winter than their first one; they were in my big pond for that winter. I didn't know the history behind my alligator gars, so overwintering them carried a much higher risk even though I conditioned them properly; they appear to be doing just fine based on the lack of fishes of a certain size in my big pond now.

As for conditioning, I kept the gars on live food and provided them with food at all times a few months prior to the onset of winter. For the longnose gars' first winter, I put them in the pond in early August and kept giving them live food until they started to cease feeding due to the drop in temperature. For their second winter & the alligator gars' first winter, I simply allowed nature to take its course given that I had a burgeoning population of bite-size bluegills, smallmouth bass, & minnows in my big pond. The key here is to let them prepare themselves for the winter while you give them the chance to do so (providing tons of live food & letting them transition on their own).

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
Wow thanks for the info I think I'll keep him inside for this winter and I'll put him out side next spring. After reading both your post. Thanks alot guys.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Wow thanks for the info I think I'll keep him inside for this winter and I'll put him out side next spring. After reading both your post. Thanks alot guys.
How big is it anyway? You're going to want to get some size on it between now & next winter for sure if you do want to do this at that time.

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
How big is it anyway? You're going to want to get some size on it between now & next winter for sure if you do want to do this at that time.
Its only 12 to 13" I got it about a month ago at 5" its growing crazy fast. Feeding it shrimp smelt and cichlid pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store