Where can I get these rocks?

Slippery69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Planet Earth
texas.jpg

So came across this pic online and the poster states it's "Texas limestone". Looks like holey rock, but without the insane amount of holes you usually see. I am trying to source this exact rock. The look is perfect for me and the added benefit of being limestone is great.

...SO, any ideas? (And not my local quarry/stone yard because in the PA/DE/NJ area this is not available...or is it?)

texas.jpg

jcox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2012
Godfrey IL
I Picked up 3 on Ebay. They are not cheap though. Texas Holey rock is another name. My lfs has them as well but pricey too.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Texas holey rock without the holes is very heavy. Average rock is between 6 and 8 pounds. Some of the larger rocks can go up to 20 pounds. At about $3/lb. it can get quite expensive. Most of the cost is due to shipping the rock from Texas. What size tank are we talking about?

Slippery69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Planet Earth
Texas holey rock without the holes is very heavy. Average rock is between 6 and 8 pounds. Some of the larger rocks can go up to 20 pounds. At about $3/lb. it can get quite expensive. Most of the cost is due to shipping the rock from Texas. What size tank are we talking about?
180 gallons! And I have absolutely no idea how much I'd need. I am looking for a pretty substantial amount similar to the pic above...maybe more.

jcox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2012
Godfrey IL
I bet there is $400 in rock shown in the setup above if you had to buy it. I have one large 6lb rock with holes, the other 2 have very few and are about 6lbs each and half the size. That's $70.00 worth of rock....Its crazy but makes an aquarium...IMO

cemster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2012
New York
Check Ebay in the pet supplies section - there are some decent priced pieces and soem use flat rate shipping boxes to ship rocks to keep cost down - Best bet to not have to go thru a thousand pages is got to pets supplies, fish, decorations and in the search put Texas and free shipping to weed out the 40 dollar shipping charges

RefriedPenguin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
Oklahoma
I went to a local rock place here... They sell pallets of rocks for use on homes and this company actually carried Texas holey rock. It was only 20cents a pound though which 80 ponds cost about 20$! They were the only ones to carry it around.

Now not every rock was as holey as the lfs but after searching through a couple of shipments the tank looks as nice as the ones from the lfs. The lfs is charging from 1$-1.50$ a pound for it.

Maybe I just got lucky? I do live in Oklahoma and they have every thing from sandstone to those black skipper rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I went to a local rock place here... They sell pallets of rocks for use on homes and this company actually carried Texas holey rock. It was only 20cents a pound though which 80 ponds cost about 20$! They were the only ones to carry it around.

Now not every rock was as holey as the lfs but after searching through a couple of shipments the tank looks as nice as the ones from the lfs. The lfs is charging from 1$-1.50$ a pound for it.

Maybe I just got lucky? I do live in Oklahoma and they have every thing from sandstone to those black skipper rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Of course the rock you got was cheap. The price is all in the shipping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store