"Ripple effect" LED recommendation?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Looking to get a nice ripple effect going on my new 4x2x1 tank. It's got really really robust water flow and surface agitation, so I think I've got that part of the equation covered.

I was thinking I'd probably want a powerful, single-point (or small area) light fairly high above the water. Would angling it off to the side make the effect more pronounced, or dead center above?

So far the nicest solution under like $500 I've seen is:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Kessil_A...ndant_Lights-Kessil-YH1111-FILTFILDLP-vi.html

What I like about this is that it's small and powerful-seeming, and they sell a version that's pre-configured to 6500k "Amazon sun" and this will be a tank with SA fish in it. Also think the pink/white color will look nice with the reddish garnet sand I have in there.

Would this thing need a power supply as well? If so, what kind? I'm very noob to LED lighting, only done whole mounted simple units before.

Of course if somebody has a significantly cheaper solution, I'm open to that as well!

Thanks!

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Dude... Beamswork. I put them on my 125 and it shimmers like a boss lol. I put a 48" single bright and it looks awesome, during the day, and at night. All for $70 shipped.

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
I use led floodlights, they give a great ripple affect but you got to have good water movement in the tank to get this affect aswell, I had seen a lot of people using the floodlights send up to a few months ago I was using expensive aquaray tiles which are great but imo the floodlights give a better light send are as cheap as chips.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Either of you guys got a link? Would be super-helpful.

And for ripple effect, is there a consensus as to if to a single point or small area light source creates a more dramatic effect than a strip? And if so, centered or angled?

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
I have mine about a foot above the water level I also have a lot of water movement on the top of the water, the more movement the more of a ripple u get

uploadfromtaptalk1352844928841.jpg

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
Have a search on eBay for led floodlights, I use two 20w ones they cost me £50 for the pair delivered compared to the £150 per tile I was using x 4, it's a lot cheaper

farrands-fish-uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2008
york england
Any led or smd work as its a beam of light not like t8 or t5 bulbs as they spred light. I have tmc aqua beams 2x on my 5ft for my pups and they do the job insted of 4 55w bulbs. With shimmer effect ripple top of water :) good look. Ohh a nother reasion i went tmc is they do a buit in timer and dimmer so u can set the time to come on and it ramps up to the brightness u would want it so you can have what ever u like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store