Longnoses being farmed in asia?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Over the weekend I spotted some longnoses at a local store. Roughly 4" long, labelled as Asian Longnose gar. Given the size I can't see them being wild caught. As well given the common name they used I'd imagine that they came in from an Asian farm.

Anybody else heard about farms producing longnoses?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
possibly im pretty sure there is no asain species though could have labled that to obtain more money.
They probably are Xenetodon cancila.
They are true longnose gars. Not Asian needlenose gars. I probably should have also pointed out that this store routinely gets in small floridas labelled as Asian spotted gars. It is more than likely their source that had them named this way. Either way they are not the most reliable for names.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
well, Thailand can breed Arapaima and I believe they can do the same thing with gars!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
hey Kevin,

from my understanding they have been producing FLGs and LNGs in Asia for the past half decade or so...give or take. i wouldn't be surprised if they are producing other species of gars as well, but other than the TPG, CBG, ALG they have already been working with, a couple more species are not out of the question/realm of possibility. usually if you see YOY gars available in the NAmerican "off season" it's a good indication that they are farmed elsewhere--
--solomon

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
hey Kevin,

from my understanding they have been producing FLGs and LNGs in Asia for the past half decade or so...give or take. i wouldn't be surprised if they are producing other species of gars as well, but other than the TPG, CBG, ALG they have already been working with, a couple more species are not out of the question/realm of possibility. usually if you see YOY gars available in the NAmerican "off season" it's a good indication that they are farmed elsewhere--
--solomon
Interesting, up to this point most of the longnoses I've been able to track down have come in with wild florida shipments. Even out of what I see available in the states most seem to originate in the states, hence why I was curious about these gars.

I find it interesting that I only really see large longnoses in asian collection if they are being bread out there.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Interesting, up to this point most of the longnoses I've been able to track down have come in with wild florida shipments. Even out of what I see available in the states most seem to originate in the states, hence why I was curious about these gars.

I find it interesting that I only really see large longnoses in asian collection if they are being bread out there.
keep in mind "farmed" is a broad term...they could very easily be importing large LNGs from the states and then strip-spawning adults to get the young...not a hard thing to do with the proper space and resources--
--SRD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store