Blenny Crisis...

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Ho-Kay...Here's the deal. I have a lawnmower blenny that I got...oh...two weeks ago...and he won't eat. He nibbles on the algae on the glass and rocks but that's apparently not enough for him cuz he's super skinny and is constantly panting, which I read is a sign of starvation. Won't eat Nori, won't eat NLS pellets, won't eat the shrimp with garlic I feed once a week for the others. At first, I figured he was taking his dear sweet time settling in but after a week, I began to get concerned. Now...I'm just hoping I didn't wait too long...

I just today got Chaeto or Cheato or whatever and I got Formula Two (frozen). Assuming he's starving, which he clearly is, if he was going to eat either of those, would he lay in right away or will it take some time for him to warm up to the presence of the new food items? He's the first one I've had issues with eating, so any advice or food suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Still won't eat. Tried Formula Two in frozen cubes cuz I can't get flake around here. Won't eat it. Angel nibbles on it though. Tried brine shrimp. Clowns eat it but not the blenny. The clowns are more aggressive eaters so I am sure to put enough in so that they eat from the top and some of it floats to the bottom where the blenny hides. He likes to sit in the mangrove planters. If he wasn't so skinny, it'd be cute. :(

Question: I've read online that they eat hair algae. Does anyone have hair algae that they'd be willing to ship to me? I'll cover shipping and packaging. Kind of an odd request, but I don't have any and was wondering if I could possibly propagate it for him. I'm desperate here. He's going on three weeks without eating any of the supplementary stuff I put in the tank. He just nibbles on the rocks and glass. I've also stopped scrubbing the front pane in an effort to provide him with more of the stuff he does eat. I figure every little bit helps.

Yesterday, I did a 50% water change, just to see if there was something in the water that was bothering him. He seems to be out and about more but still not eating.

I keep a sheet of nori and a ball of cheato in the tank now, just on the off chance he's nibbling on it. Ummm...I think that's it. I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
do not intentionally put hair algae into your tank. worst idea ever. blennies eat everything. wait him out. he'll either make it or wont and your interference is likely to create more problems than help.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
do not intentionally put hair algae into your tank. worst idea ever. blennies eat everything. wait him out. he'll either make it or wont and your interference is likely to create more problems than help.
lol, alright. I wondered what I'd be getting myself into with the whole "infecting my tank" idea but on the flip side of that, he's a lawnmower blenny. I figured if he did eat it, he'd keep it in check, you know? I'm just so worried about him.... :nilly:

Thanks for the advice. :) I appreciate it.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
I think it worked. I think he's eating now. I got home late Sunday night and Monday morning, his little Belly was all shrunken in. So I did a massive over feeding to make sure there were leftovers for him and about an hour later, his belly was all swollen like he had just pigged out. I've been watching him the past couple of days and he seems to be putting some weight on. But he still pants real hard. Anyone know it that is a concern? I'm just waiting him out and seeing what he does. It would be nice to know what he eats though so I can get more of just one thing and not two or three. Anyway, happy he's not dead and seems to be recovering. Thought I'd share. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
No new pics. I should probably get some. But here he is when I put him in the tank:

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1354379003.050682.jpg

And like a week ago when I was updating my mangrove thread:

EDIT: crap! Wrong button! Can't add a photo when I edit on my phone. How dumb...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store