Pondliner with window Tanks - products used and longevity

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Hard to find all the threads with pondliner builds. Currently have a 650gal steel frame with 3/4" acrylic window thats been running for 2 years. I used Gold Label Aquarium and Pond sealer with a 45mil. firestone epdm liner (no bolts). Who else has a pond liner tank, how longs it been holding water, and what did you use to seal in your window?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
uploadfromtaptalk1353528733574.jpg
Really? Noone else with a pondliner tank? I know theres more out there lets spread the word and share our knowledge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Cool. Heard of people doing this but man that would scare me in so many ways. But I bet it's fine

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Ive only seen threads with builds using pond liner, never any follow up to talk about the condition of them after the tank has been up for a while

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I used hutton products "gold label aquarium and pond sealer" for my window. Had it ordered in through a local pond/garden store. Its hard to find in the states. My original build thread can be searched under "metal monster 650" for pics of my welded frame and some build process. Tank is comprised of a steel frame. Heat welded polypropelene and a 45. Mil epdm liner. I think this is the way to go for all builds. I started a 3,000 gal. In the same fashion juat no $ to finish at the moment. Im curious of other sealing agents for the window as the gold label is extremly expensive at 14-$25 a tube. Works wonders though. I didnt even sand the acrylic before adhesion and no bolts hold it in place. I know others have used 3m boat and marine silicone just want some confirmation before i save money by using the 3m instead of gold label. Liners allow tanks to bow so no worries for cracks in epoxy or fiberglass... all tanks bow. Y not use a liner to our advantage and work with it.? It works. I look at 650 gallons held in with a liner every day :) just spreading the good word. If i could get gold label products at a better price i would never build a tank any other way. The stuff is great and can even be applied underwater. Its extremly heavy and sticky silicone that provides an exellent gasket for acrylic to epdm liners.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
As for being afraid of a liner/ window bond. Its no different than worring about a seam popping in a factory built tank or standard fiberglass build. Liners are cheap and easy to use. It also looks surprisingly good once filled. My tank does not look like it was hommade in any way. No bulky wood frame either.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Def. Should b a pondliner with window sticky. Theres tanks all over youtube aswell built in this fashion. Just no info. Im trying to bring everyone on mfk together on this subjuct. I read many others ideas before i tried for myself so i know you guys are out there. My original design came from john ptc on a poly/steel tank all i did was add a liner for extra assurance. Several liner tanks on here as well they just dont come up in searches. Lets get them exposed lol...future builders deserve to know theres other options out there.

hawkeye405

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
Chicago
I brought up this liner question over a year ago but never heard any interest from anyone here. My koi spawned this last spring and I had to find a place to put over 5000 fry. I took a sheet of plywood and cut it into (4) 23" x 48"pieces. I used pocket screws in the side sheets to hold the front and rear sheets together. There were (2) 2 x 4's on the bottom as a brace to hole the center of the front and rear. I then laid in a 45 mil liner and stapled the overlap at the top. I placed this in a corner of my garden and filled it with water. Threw in a few sponge filters and the fry and it lasted until a couple weeks ago when i brought what was left of the fry into my fish room.

I am planning a plywood/pond liner aquarium now but with a 1/2" Starlight glass that will be 24" x 120". The price is under $300 delivered. The aquarium will be 26" high x 24" deep x 136" long.

hawkeye405

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
Chicago
I think the liner would hold very well to the plywood using contact cement. Any bulkheads would also seal very well using the liner as a gasket. The only place I would really need to use contact cement would be on the part where the glass would be. I think this would assure me of a flat and secured surface to adhere the glass to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store