New reticulated stingray

2resqu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2012
Milwaukee
Hello everyone. I bought a baby reticulated stingray(4 inch disk) roughly 1 week ago and have been having issues getting it to eat. I have tried earth worms, frozen bloodworms, freeze dried krill, shrimp, feeders and it doesn't even attempt to eat. I use a feeding stick to hold the food out in front of the stingray, but it will just lift its disk up acting as if its going to eat it but just swims away. I have this stingray housed in a 180 gallon with 2 Fluval FX5. Water is; PH 7.6, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrate around 10-20, Water Temp 80 degrees. Tankmates: another reticulated stingray(5 inch disk, this one i have no problem feeding) and a jurunese catfish(6inches long). I am concern because the stingray is getting smaller as each day pass by. Please give me some helpful information as to how I can get this stingray to start eating.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I spent four weeks getting my pair to eat consistently. I hand fed both of them three times a day. I have found live black worms is by far the best thing to get them started eating. I hope all goes well for you!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

2resqu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2012
Milwaukee
I tried blackworms yesterday. The stingray didn't go for it but i left it in overnight and this morning all of it is gone but I do not know if it ate it or not.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I tried blackworms yesterday. The stingray didn't go for it but i left it in overnight and this morning all of it is gone but I do not know if it ate it or not.
A lot of times the stingray won't eat them right away and so the black worms will burry in the sand and the ray will go along and dig them up as if they are in the wild. They will then get the hang of the black worms being fed directly to them as time goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

2resqu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2012
Milwaukee
A lot of times the stingray won't eat them right away and so the black worms will burry in the sand and the ray will go along and dig them up as if they are in the wild. They will then get the hang of the black worms being fed directly to them as time goes on.

Okay. tyvm. I hope the ray eats soon. I will keep you guys updated.

2resqu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2012
Milwaukee
Alrite. So the stingray still hasn't eaten in front of my face and its been about 2 weeks now. I would throw in about 2 cubes of bloodworms at night and by morning it is all gone. I'm thinking that the ray is eating otherwise it wouldn't live this long; especially since it is still a baby. Any thoughts?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Live black worms.. I feed my guys 1/4lb a week... and chopped up nightcrawlers now that they can handle them. You won't overfeed them at that size.. just keep up with water perameters and water changes. also make sure the other 2 are full when you feed... i made the mistake once of adding my live blackwroms before feeding the rest of the tank.. they lasted about 1 hour. instead of the few days. Otherwise you may consider moveing the ray to it's own tank until it's stabilized.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store