Help Ich Prevention!

Oscar123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
S Wales
Long story short, fish with ich died and now the damsel has got ich, I'm scared that the puffer will get ich, which I hope won't happen cause I love the guy! I can't do more that 20% water change until next week cause of shortage of water.. And I have no spare QT tanks!

Any home remedy preventions?!

Thank u v m!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Any inverts?

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Turning up heat doesn't improve ich, it makes it worse, shortens their life cycle meaning more ich faster. Fresh water dips have mixed results. I recomend this method, IMO only way to do get rid of them short of agressive chemical use.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/ich.html

Dips dont really do much, long term hypo is the only way, as it deals with all stages of the parasites lifecycle.

Oscar123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
S Wales
Not blaming any of you but, this is what I done..

I phoned up the pet shop. I took their advice without a doubt cause I was willing to try anything. They told me to do the FW dip with some anti-white spot Chem. which I did.
Done it for 10mins.

When i put the fish in back to the tank he looked like if he had more WS...

Five mins later checked up on him, his swimming pattern was much better. But still looks unhealthy..

Oh well we'll see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
You are going to have to do hypo or copper in a QT tank, do a quick google search and you can see how to do hypo correctly.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
removing Ich from the fish wont remove ich from your tank, they will still be there, and if your fish get just a little bit weak or sick then booom ich is back.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
That said, you do need to deal with ich on the fish or they will die of course, withing 7 days at the MOST.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store