I'm joining the dark side!

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
So today I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a SW setup. I've always been interested in reefs but haven't tried setting one up yet. I went ahead and ordered a JBJ 28G nano-cube with CFC-quad lighting. I know that this isn't enough lighting to support many different types of corals, mainly sps, but will get me started with growing some softies and a few fish and inverts. I'm also already planning out how I'm going to mod it, even though the order hasn't even been processed yet. I know I plan on adding a protein skimmer to the setup along with converting the media chamber into a fuge. Other than that I'm not sure what I'm going to do or what the stocklist will be, but I have plenty of time to figure it out.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
:headbang2 Welcome to the dark side! The water is warm! ;)

I'll hunt up a thread for you that Wiggles did (that's not stickied yet... :irked: :)) that will help you get started.

As for stocking, I am madly in love with my clowns, So much personality in those little things! lol. Wait til your tank's run for like a year for dragonets (they are soo fun and cute). And a lawnmower blenny. IME damsels are bizniches... Ummm... Yeah...I'm a newblet myself so I don't have a lot of experience with the different fish...

Ok, I'll go hunt down that thread...lol

Here it is! http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...riend!!!-Please!!!&highlight=help+help+friend Enjoy and ask lots of questions! :D

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Thanks for the link, there's a lot of helpful tips in there. When you set up your tank did you use all live rock or mostly base rock and seed it with just a piece or two of live?

BTW...you're promoting the dark side wrong, you told me the water was warm but other people have promised cookies and pie.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Hahaha...Hey, I bake... :naughty:

I bought a friend's tank so I had like 50 pounds of LR that was already cured and I just moved it. But, through reading other threads, my understanding is its cheaper (and safer) to use dry rock and seed it with a couple pounds of good, quality LR. Make sure it has some coraline algae on it so you can get that going too.

That said, I've added 10 lbs of LR to the tank, not wanting to screw with dry rock in a running tank. I can't imagine it would cause any sort of alarming chemical spike if I added dry rock slowly and the bacteria does die off when you move LR, though I honestly don't know how much...That's a question for someone more experienced than I...

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Woah that's a huge tank to pop your darkside cherry on! From all the research I've been doing the biggest mistake is trying to go too fast with everything...patience is a virtue-that I'm going to need to learn.

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
I beg to differ. My first salt was 600 gallons and i caught a LOT of flak for that. It was short lived and I quickly dropped to a 240

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I understand, the equipment gets pretty expensive... I was going to get a 40, but I got a 75 instead... Live rock adds up fast!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store