Indo personality?

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Im interested in some Indo dats and was wondering how they're personality is? Are they personable like Oscars or Red devils? Do they patrol the tank or hide most of the time? And what's all this I hear about "stability" issues?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Very personable like red devils or oscars. I recommend just having one indo dat in a tank especially if your new to them. They can be relentless aggressors toward others of their own kind. The alpha indo will almost always show the best personality where the others you might get frustrated with. As far as stability goes, i would look to recent threads about the subject. The discussion might go on forever about it, but i wouldn't worry about it. IMO, if you have just one dat who knows he's boss of the tank, there's a much better chance for a nice colored indo dat in the long run. But be patient, many nice established dats come up for sale at gd prices here in the states.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
yup, agree with everyting jay said.. especially since you have the (hobbyist) luxury of being in the states I'd absolutely go with a semi-adult indo..

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have one 6 incher, that is very "personable" and nearly always stable. Follows anyone around that is interested in looking at him (read: begging for food). Not sure how smart it is, but I have 3 3 inchers coming next week, so will see how his personality changes. I have read they tend to ignore smaller ones. On the positive side, the little ones are eating pellets. Hopefully they will train the big guy.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I have one 6 incher, that is very "personable" and nearly always stable. Follows anyone around that is interested in looking at him (read: begging for food). Not sure how smart it is, but I have 3 3 inchers coming next week, so will see how his personality changes. I have read they tend to ignore smaller ones. On the positive side, the little ones are eating pellets. Hopefully they will train the big guy.
They definitely do ignore the smaller ones. I have 6 in my tank ranging from 4-9". The small one is never bothered but the 6"+ one's get chased occasionally by the big one. No real aggressiveness, just some dominance clarification lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
jup.. I've had a 3" with a 12".. no problems.. I've heard of feeding accidents but otherwise they're fine..

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I've own 4 Indos rite now, 6"-13". Have owned several other types of dats too, and I must say they all seem to hav own personalities. I've observed most aggression towards each other when they close to same size. They'll size each other up, and fight for food more almost like they trying to outgrow other faster. Others seem to just b more Passive and stay out of others way. Really, each has own personality. As for the stabile question, that's still been an on going mystery, alot of theories. I think there's a sticky on that topic, best to check that out for that issue lol

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
I think ill try and pick one up if I find another good deal. I missed out on a nice 4" Indo for $25 at local swap.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store