Still Don't Understand FX5 Mania?

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
Well this thread is going to do one of two things cause a real stink or fall to the bottom like a lead Pipe!!!!

First, I have a FX5 and it's a nice filter but I don't think it's all that. I think there are canister filters out there which are equal or better. Other than it's backflush what more does it offer from other canisters on the market. It's trays are all sponge with almost no space for extra media be it bio or or more mechnical. And the way the filter is designed if you try to add aditional mechnical it clogs up in quick order if you have fish of any size because the extra media space is so limited.

So allow me to clairfy this thread is not about I am a Eheim person or Rena, or Aquatop etc. I use this forum the most because I think it is a fast moving up to date resourse, with awsome knowledge. But I can't understand the FX5 this and the FX5 that. I honestly feel it's not all that. In other words I think there are many other products out there capable of doing a equal or better job? OK so my helmet is on, I'm ready for my onslaught, or to get the big Ban Him to never be heard from again. But are there any out there willing to make a case for a little debate without ripping me a Good One??

surfpalmsncycads

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2010
whittier ca
im with you. heres my bottom line. the lowest price ive seen an fx5 is 199.00 thats without shipping. but ill go with that number even tho most people spend way more than that. if i had 200 bucks theres many other options id choose. hell, 4 brand new ac110s will make 1 fx5 look silly. 5 used ac110s wow.
theres a ton of generic canisters out there im not going to list them. even with the so called cheap plastic parts.. if taken care of, they can be just as reliable. do some research and the money would be better spent on other...

now im not saying that the fx5 is not a good filter. im just saying for the money id spend elsewhere.

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
Ok, I admit I'm not one who is afraid to rock the boat. I know many of you love your FX5's which is completely ok. My father always said stick with what works. I run three Fluvals currently so it isn't the brand it's flaws in the design(its small for its gph,extra media volume, fewer baskets or room compared to its competitors) that I question. I am trying to put myself in a position where in the future I try to stick with one brand just to make things consistant. But I'm not convinced I've made that right choice yet. I'm starting to find out there's more to a filter than just GPH? And besides who runs there canisters empty. I wonder what the true GPH is if your running a polishing pad with three Oscars plus a couple extra?

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Yes, in retrospect, I'd much rather have 4 AC110's than 2 FX5's. Great filter, but heavy in the wallet.

Sent from my HTC One S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Iwhoopedbatman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2011
Baltimore
They move a lot of water and are affordable online. They do a fine job for the money and can handle a large bioload. Mine actually turned out to be a dud, and I agree they're not 'all that', but they are a fine option for many tanks.

Acubillos19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
Laguna Niguel
I have 1 fx5 on each of my tanks and i love them. I do feel like they have pretty great flow my fish love it. Once i added it on my tank Oscar became more active again. I just have bio media with the filter pads that it came with.
But what i like.
Easy to take apart if needed to.
Has great flow for My needs.
Is silent. (my ac110 makes a ton of noise even though i cleaned the whole thing)
Has worked better then my previous canister filters.
Easy to maintain (just turn two switches off and bamn i am ready to clean that puppy)
But that's just me.
Forsure cleared my water up once i through that bad boy on though. But yeah 4 ac110s would be great... but with how my experience and my friends experience have gone with that filter i wouldn't even be able to hear my tv....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store