Local SW tank???

Taz2478

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
not where I'm supposed to be
People always ask about a local pond or fw but never seen sw asked so...

Anyone ever tried keeping a local sw setup. We somewhat did it a few yrs ago in a 55. we kept minnows used for fishing so we wouldnt have to keep buying so much when we went out. Filtration was a UGF so all it had was air stones. Water was from where we fish, so it was easy to fill when needed.

This just popped back into my head as my dad came home with a croaker and trout in the live well cause he wanted to see if it would keep them alive :screwy: (I think the cold day got to him)...

I figured if I was to do it it would have to be almost a species tank or a careful mix. 1 cool thing would be to grow a redfish or trout. Its just so hard since everything grows so huge.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Where excactly are you from? If you want to do this, the first thing you need is a chiller.

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
not neccisarly... i had a california sculpin in a 55 gal for 4 yrs while living in oceanside, CA.
grew to 18" before it died.

tank stayed about 70 degrees and we even kept smelt in the tank as an added food source. trout and redfish are warmwater fish, a large room temp tank should be good for a sub-adult.

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
RadleyMiller;649837; said:
Where excactly are you from? If you want to do this, the first thing you need is a chiller.
:WTF: :screwy: :shakehead
not all sw needs a chiller or brite lights...

he's in south La...

Also think he was just wondering who has done it.

haitwun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2006
california
If you are from california, some nice local saltwater fish that will fit in most home aquaria include:
shiner surfperch
Cymatogaster aggregata

topsmelt
Atherinops affinis

grunion
Leuresthes tenuis

sardines
Sardinops sagax

senorita
Oxyjulis californica

There are more kinds of California kelp forest fish out there, this is just a few.
http://www.metridium.com/monterey/fish/fish.html
As long as they are not stressed, most of these fish will readily take prepared foods like flakes and pellets. If you'd like to see examples of this, visit the Cabrillo Aquarium or the Long Beach Aquarium.
And don't get caught with a garibaldi, you'll be doing time in prison if you do.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Many of the tidal range blennies and sculpins as well as pricklebacks are veryforgiving when it comes to temp. and water conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store