Thorichthys sp. coatzacoalcos Mixteco Blue & Rocio octofasciata 'Cenote Aktun Ha'

davidefc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Liverpool UK
I recently spawned these 2 species. The Thorichthys mixteco Blue are a first for me, I have been wanting to breed these numerous times so its good to finally get the species crossed off, but I have a feeling I will always keep them in my fish house, stunning fish!

Wrigglers pit:

Wild caught Astyanax sp 'Cenote Escondido'

Heres a video of my Rocio octofasciata 'Cenote Aktun Ha' WC, I collected these fish back in September 2011:
[YT]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HEpyxB98ZXs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YT]
Regards
Dave

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Nice video, and fish.
It's interesting how the cenotes change from year to year, or it may be, what one person sees and another doesn't, or other facters like heavy rain and turbidity.
In Nov 2013, I didn't see any JDs in Aktun Ha.
Although I did see a few female, and juvie freidfichthalii, the most predominant cichlids were Tilapines, which was surprising to me seeing how "Car Wash" is more off the beaten track (at least to me) than some of the more accessible to tourist cenotes like Azul or Eden.
As you can see by my pic, the rains had caused Aktun Ha to overflow its banks, and a bunch of divers had just finished, and surely stirring things up, may have sent many fish into hiding.

davidefc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Liverpool UK
Hi Duanes, nice pictures, I visited Cenote Aktun Ha in September 2011, I saw a few tilapia, maybe 5, a few breeding pairs of R.octofasciats, a few robertsoni and a large female freidrichstali with about 500, 1" fry! Plus some juveniles dotted about. I didn't have a chance to go to the cenote in 2012, but in September 2013, I managed to get there, but because of the weather of a lot of rain, it was heavily flooded and murky, so didn't bother going in as you couldn't see anything. I did see a tarantula their though, which made it worthwhile, I hope next time I go to Mexico I get to snorkel the cenote again.

What's Mexico like in November? As for snorkelling or diving in cenotes?

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store