Which two eels should I get?

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
I'm getting a couple morays soon because I have always wanted one..really like the tessellated but don't have the space right now..

The four I really like are the fimbriated, chainlink, jewel, and black edge...which two would be my best bet if they were housed together? Any fish that are safe with them?

Tank size will be whatever is necessary, I have a 55 I'm going to start them out in, planning on getting little ones under a foot if I can.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
The chainlink is the one I would not mix with the others if possible since they are not piscivores and not as aggressive. The fimbriated will be most aggressive, but you can probably keep with one of the others while small, but with caution. Blackedge are not as aggressive IME but very active and that might not work well in that size tank. As same size juvenile you can mix any of them, but for long term success in a bigger tank fimbriatus and blackedge are ok. I've had these 2 species together for years and they hardly ever even interact with each other. Any of the 3 (other than chainlink) have a chance of working out since they are all aggressive and "smaller" eels (compared to tesselata and such).

delanierae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
ft lauderdale beach, Fl
also, your best bet is to get them from the same tank when they are small. Keep an eye on them and make sure theres plenty of rocks, caves and space. they are typically found on the bottom hiding but be careful because they do swim around at night and amazingly!! can even jump out of the tank.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
In a 55 a chainlink would be perfect with a snowflake as they both eat crustations and stay under 2 foot. Fimbys are very aggressive henced called "yellow devils" and max out around 3 foot. My fimby is housed alone as he kills anything and everything that moves. Tesselatas get over 6 foot and need 500gal + tanks. Black edge I have no expirence with but have heard they can do fine in fowlr setups with other predatory fish such as lions or groupers. Puffers and triggers are known to nip at eels or worse. Pm me if you need more info.

Sent from my GT-I5510M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store