My New Red Belly Pacu

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
Hey guys,
A week ago I got a baby red bellied pacu and he is already one of my favorite fish. He eats mostly flakes but when I put in blood worms, shrimp, and brine shrimp for my other fish he seems to love them and eats till he's fat. He doubled in size in one week and if he keeps this growth rate up I'll have to re-home him pretty soon.(my tank is way to small) but I'm worried he and his silver dollar buddy aren't getting enough veggies in their diet. I tried carrots and lettuce but they didn't show any interest in them. What are the best vegetables to feed them? Should I got some veggie flakes? I also heard in the wild they eat Brazil nuts. Are there any nuts similar to this that are easier to find? As he grows I will keep updating on this thread and try posting pictures.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wolf96

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Memphis, TN
Pacus are some of the fastest growing fish in the aquarium trade. They can become the true meaning of the word "Tankbuster." Your fish will soon turn into a 2+ foot eating machine much sooner than you will believe. That said, I second getting the largest tank you can (preferably a 300 gallon, but a 180 might suffice) and a good filtration system. Spirulina based flakes will do for now as food staple. As they grow Pacus will accept pretty much anything as food (they love sliced potatoes as treats, just watch your fingers when feeding him once he puts on some size). Welcome to the world of Monster Fish Keeping!

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
It's a 220 gallon. I don't think I'll be keeping it into adult hood because of my other fish. As soon as he gets big enough to harm my other fish ill rehome him but if he behaves nicely with my other fish ill keep him as long as I can. These are my other fish and I think he might kill some if them. If needed I will rehome my Gourami and Rainbow fish to my brothers 55 gallon community tank. He is the youngest fish in my tank so hopefully he won't be super aggressive. All my other fish are about half a year old.
1 Fire Eel
1 BGK
2 ID Sharks
3 Angels
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Bichir
1 Eclipse Catfish
1 Silver Dollar
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Blood Parrots
1 Common Pleco
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
2 Rainbow Fish

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My Pacu is about 14" long, less than a year old. He is in a 240, hoping I can keep him for life. Try feeding him some peas. You have some other fish in the mix that would enjoy them as well. Just make a small slit in each one. Sometimes fish don't like the outer part and will just squeeze the goo out, spit out the wrapper. I think he will get along fine with everyone you have. They are pretty friendly fish, but can hold their own against most aggressors.

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
My Pacu is about 14" long, less than a year old. He is in a 240, hoping I can keep him for life. Try feeding him some peas. You have some other fish in the mix that would enjoy them as well. Just make a small slit in each one. Sometimes fish don't like the outer part and will just squeeze the goo out, spit out the wrapper. I think he will get along fine with everyone you have. They are pretty friendly fish, but can hold their own against most aggressors.
Ok thanks.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Why get a pacu if you knew that you can't house it properly?

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why get a pacu if you knew that you can't house it properly?
Would you rather have someone with a 220g or someone with a 10g buy this fish?
In my opinion he did the right thing rescuing this fish, even though he won't be able to house it forever at least it will have a good home for a while.

Reactions: boldtogether

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
In my opinion he did the right thing rescuing this fish, even though he won't be able to house it forever at least it will have a good home for a while.
I would rather no one own them.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Both setups are still unsuitable for a pacu anyways and the pacu will outgrew both setups in less than a year. On other hand, it's easy to rehome a pacu from a 10gal than a pacu from a 220gal. IMO the pacus shouldn't be introduce to the aquarium trade at all.

A 180, 240 or a 300gal won't house an adult pacu for life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store