125 FOWLR tank withOUT a sump !

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
I had one in my old appartment with an fx5 on it for about a year and didnt hit any trouble. I also seemed able to chince out on the live rock I only had 25 lbs of it ! LMFAO

I intend on making my BRAND NEW 125 gallon a FOWLR tank (Had to sell all my tanks except the 180 fresh in the move).

It will have just T8 Lighting and no sump (I usually hide the heater behind the rocks.

Any pointers on how to manage this tank would be awsome ! I had a lion fish, a ribbon eel and a panther grouper in my old tank the stock will be similar.

My biggest question is are sumps needed to run a long term salt tank ? If so my tank is not drilled (blah) Should I pick up and over flow box and a be built sump or can it run fine off and fx5 ?

Countryboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Central NY
I've read that with salt a sump is the way to go. Reason being that canisters are a nitrate factory and would have to be cleaned weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cullens089

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2007
Canton,Michigan
It can be done but then you would prolly wanna go way overkill on live rock and get a badass skimmer. Maybe a deep sand bed would also help.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cullens089

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2007
Canton,Michigan

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
even with the bb built up it would pump out nitrates ?

Would hang on backs work better then a canister ?
Canisters stand alone don't denitrify - they convert ammonia and nitrite but expell nitrate - denitrifying takes place in still water with lower 02 levels than fast moving water. HOBs are no different. Most denitrifying takes place in sandbeds and deep within rockwork.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store