Tap Water in a FOWLR setup??

malawi500

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
UK
I have just bought a complete reef setup with everything I need although I did intend using it for my freshwater fish.

I'm tempted to give marine a go but only if I can use tap water with Seachem Prime + salt? Or is it a must to use RO water?

Thanks

cullens089

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2007
Canton,Michigan
Rodi water isn't a must I've set up salt with tap water

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
I also attempted to use tap water when i first started saltwater. 2000$ worth of fish in the toilet was my consequence. I now have an RO system and havent lost a fish since. RO is the safest and cheapest way to go. It's well worth the investment.

malawi500

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
UK
I can't be bothered picking up the water each week and don't have the space for any more equipment.

Looks like marine is off...

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
I also attempted to use tap water when i first started saltwater. 2000$ worth of fish in the toilet was my consequence. I now have an RO system and havent lost a fish since. RO is the safest and cheapest way to go. It's well worth the investment.
+1

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
With the obvious expections of Cholrine and Chloramine fish can handle Tapwater so long as Nitrates can be kept at 20ppm or lower - Corals + Inverts not so much as they don't do well with nitrates over 5 ppm. Problem with SW tanks and Tapwater is more or less undissolved solids that decomp + added phosphates from the tap which can cause + seriously fuel obnoxious algae + bacterica blooms. However SW fish don't handle PH swings very well so large volume w/c's isn't recommended for nitrate control.

With that said theres a million ways to skin a cat - Algae scrubbers, Cheatomorpha Fuges, Gac Reactors, GFO reacrors, Carbon P Reactors, Protien Skimming, Nitrate absorbant media, etc..... can all help purify intank water. Just gotta pick and choose your finacial battle and with from the Tap + corals it's all uphill - not really gonna be a big issue for fish.

RO/DI water is 99.8% pure h2o - A 100gal a day unit cost like $250 with no real significant increase in the water/sewer bill or electric bill incase you decide to go reef in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store