The difference Between Tinfoil Barb species (Barbus Schwanefeldi and Barbus Altus)

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
As there seems to be a lot of "Which tinfoil do I have?" threads circulating I thought as someone who has both of these fish currently at around 8"-10" in size I feel that I can give some great pointers as to Identifying them. Firstly, both of my large tinfoils were trade ins. we all have seen pictures online of the young fish and how to tell between Altus and Schwanefeldi but I figure I will give some extra help here.

Here is the typical example most of us will see of Barbus Schwanefeldi

the black stripes through the tail making the fish more identifiable.
These fish grow to 14"+ and are very robust tankmates. Good with Monster fish.

Here is the typical juvenile example of Barbus Altus or "Red Tail Tinfoil Barb"

this fish will only grow to 8", 10" max. they have all of the same strengths as the larger tinfoil barb but with the added bonus of being able to be kept in smaller aquariums.

As the fish mature they will be much easier to identify. Some of the juvenile B. Altus will have faint dark striping in the tail fin which may cause some confusion.

The following picture is an adult Barbus Schwanefeldi.

Notice how the fins are very pointy, it has a high back and a slightly elongated yet deep profile. The fish also has a pointy tail with that unique shape ( Much like a Fei Feng)

Now here is an adult Barbus Altus.

Notice the overall rounded and more deep shape to the body, the smaller less pronounced head. Also note how the tail is a lot more vertical and open than that of Barbus Schwanefeldi.

Here is a crappy yet pretty explanatory diagram that I created
Barbus Altus above
Barbus Schwanefeldi below

I know, I know... It would be better if I drew it by hand but I wanted to educate all the Dither needers on MFK asap on this fish!
so as we can clearly see the difference in body shape, fin shape and a few other subtle differences. The diagram was created whilst physically observing the two in my tank and copying their traits.

I know this thread isn't one of the most jazzy and professional looking ones on the site, But with this question being asked a lot lately I thought it would save a lot of time. I myself kept wondering what species I had, and until I picked up another today It wasn't so apparent to me. seeing them frolicking around along side eachother shows a huge contrast and therefore showed me some easy ways to ID them.

so thats that, anyone who wants an ID can post a picture here if not I hope I've helped some of you out

Rafini

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Neat. This should help me a lot when I pick them out. (Because I am very color blind, I've learned to ignore colors and focus on shapes, which in this case, leaves me confused. This will help me pinpoint what I need to see.)

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Neat. This should help me a lot when I pick them out. (Because I am very color blind, I've learned to ignore colors and focus on shapes, which in this case, leaves me confused. This will help me pinpoint what I need to see.)
Thanks Drstrangelove, I am also severely colourblind which really doesn't help that I work at Hollister haha.

I noticed that a lot of the info online is all just peoples own opinions based on photos etc. I thought if I show photos of juvies and adults, explain the difference and do some observation myself then maybe I can try and make a method of ID'ing with a high amount of accuracy :)

dragonsblood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2010
Hobart
I have a group of juvenile tinfoil barbs.

The tail shape looks closer to being a schwanenfeldii, however the black lines are still quite faint.

The dorsal fins are nearly all black with the base still being clearish, with no red at all.

I would say the fish are 5-6" in size.

Do the colours in these fish change much with maturity? I will try to upload a picture but they move so fast it's nearly impossible to get a clear picture.

I am not sure which species I have, any ideas on what to look for in juvenille fish?

Tin-foil-barb.jpg

dragonsblood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2010
Hobart
the image attached to the above post is not fo my fish, but one that looks almost identical except for the red on the dorsal fin.

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Sorry to drag this back up but I was wondering can both types be mixed & would they still all stick together ?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Moved to Perch, Gouramis, Cyprinids, Mormyrids, Gobies, etc area.

IME they seem to work together, but I've mainly used them as dithers for ATF, which meant they would inevitably get eaten

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store