Algae eaters...help me!

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
OK, so I have 2 tanks right now that have some brown (red?) algae growth. Not a huge problem, but unsightly none the less. I usually just wipe down my glass with a wet (submerged) high quality (bounty...hefty...viva...etc.) paper towel to remove it (if any of you haven't done this, it works way better than scrapers, magnets, etc.). I'm beginning to think I want "something" that will curb algae in the hard to reach places and on the driftwood and rocks, etc. Again, it isn't out of control, just unsightly. I am not a huge fan of Pleco's, but my current tanks are full of large cichlids, and the other is spiny eel, knife fish and bichir. I'm concerned snail species will be wiped out...any suggestions? Or am I forced with picking up some dwarf (ugly) plecos? Thanks!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Flagtail. They get big, but you sure can't call them ugly. Best there is! Not my video.
[video=youtube;U5WcIUA6ctU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5WcIUA6ctU[/video]

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
x2 on the Flagtail Prochilodus!

Mine lives in my CA/SA cichlid tank that just happens to have a black ghost knife and bichir in it :)... sorry no spiney eels but I am pretty sure a flagtail would work with your setup. They are excellent cleaners, even better so than a Pleco.

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Live plants take some of the exess nutrients out of the water for themselves to grow, also dont leave lights on for too long. Flagtails are good, but not all plecos are ugly. Pick out a fancier one that will be compatible and eats algae

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
I gotta agree with the others. Another fish is only going to increase the bioload. Excess algae is a sign of too much nutrients in the water and too much light. More waterchanges, less fish...

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Wow didn't know flag tail eat Algae

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
And they eat brown algae and black hair algae. I don't know of any other fish that will. The other guys are correct about making sure your maintenance is up to par. I leave my lights on 14 hours a day, get 2-3 hours of direct sunlight and have no algae. I change 1/2 my water weekly and overfilter/understock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store