Breeding and feeding earth worms to fish.... do or dont??

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
so lately ive been kind of obsessed with the idea of starting a vermiculite, gets rid of scraps, junk paper, and decreases my carbon foot print :nilly: plus i would be able to use the castings for my moms garden, you guys get the idea. i want to do this for the most part because its a free food source for my fish, which i am all about haha red wrigglers are most commonly used, but upon further investigation, i found a site that claimed that they're toxic to reptiles, not sure fish. im curious if any one has any insight to this? because if they arent bad for fish, im heading to walmart and starting this up asap!!!

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Done it before and about to do it again. I have fed my rays red wigglers for years. They are arguably the best fish food because they are a living vitamin packet with the highest protein level of any fresh food item.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
Done it before and about to do it again. I have fed my rays red wigglers for years. They are arguably the best fish food because they are a living vitamin packet with the highest protein level of any fresh food item.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
That's what I'm thinking lol I mean I've even heard like parenting things about how instead of pulling a worm from ur child's hand u should let them eat it because of all the nutrients... Like in rug rats haha I wouldn't ever do that but u see what I'm saying :) I'm just still curios whether some one will chime in and disprove what I said earlier about them being toxic

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
My rays and aros love worms as treats, but no to be used as a staple diet.
I bet. It makes fish happy to be able to eat something alive instead of processed just like me when I get a steak versus a dollar menu burger lol and yes of course, moderation is key. How often is advisable tho? A few times a week? Once?

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
your'e looking at a website with hundreds of thousands of people who have feed their fish red wigglers...what more proof do you need?

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Iv always wanted to try worms but never got around to it. Any rainy day you can go outside and gather as many as you want. Me living in Ontario, I can only catch worms for a couple months before everything gets too cold again.

Plus shouldn't you ring them out to get all the dirt and gunk out of their system before you feed?

Sent from my GT-I5510M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
your'e looking at a website with hundreds of thousands of people who have feed their fish red wigglers...what more proof do you need?
Didn't know that many people do it lol just read a few things that were actual studies, can't find them right now, that claimed they were toxic to reptiles but I guess not fish :) thanks haha

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
Iv always wanted to try worms but never got around to it. Any rainy day you can go outside and gather as many as you want. Me living in Ontario, I can only catch worms for a couple months before everything gets too cold again.

Plus shouldn't you ring them out to get all the dirt and gunk out of their system before you feed?

Sent from my GT-I5510M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Make a worm box. There's plenty of videos on YouTube and plenty of companies that sell red wigglers :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store