tiny worms on fish's fins!

Ajohnson2882

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2012
nebraska
This past weekend I noticed my Smallmouth Bass had three tiny 'worms' attached to his anal fin and dangling from it. Monitoring it closely I noticed the next day they had spread to his tail fin and another fin. Worried about it affecting my other fish I extracted the Smallmouth bass from my tank, I meant to post up on here sooner to get some answers but have been super busy with school.. Anyways, Since then I havn't noticed any worms on my other fish (two 6" Bluegill, a 9" Chocolate Pleco, and two 6" and 8" Crappies, so I thought they just affected my Bass. Just an hour ago I noticed my two bluegill have a few of the same worms that were on my bass on some of their fins :cry:

There are only one or two on each of their tail fins, and then one or two on their anal fins. None on the crappies, I do weekly water changes and keep up on ensuring my water parameters are very good.

Any thoughts what these little worms are, and are they harmful/harmless? I'm stumped at what they are, or where they came from.. as well as what I should do, take them out of my tank and quarantine them??

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!! thank you.

Ajohnson2882

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2012
nebraska
Yes they are wild caught. I've had them in my tank for about 2 months now and they just NOW showed up. Tried to take some pictures but none turned out good enough to even tell out the worms.

Ajohnson2882

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2012
nebraska
Im aware of anchor worms, But anchor warms have the 'two ends' on them that trail on the warm hanging from the fish.

Weird thing is they are ONLY on the fins! nowhere else on the body. Same as the Smallmouth Bass before I got rid of him, The more that appeared and spread on it they just appeared on it's fins.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
What do the worms look like? they could be a few things.. but I agree to use Prazi on the tank... they're likely in the tank itself and not specifically on the fish.. my first instinct says possibly a leech, a few different types out there. or possibly planaria ect. if you cna't get a good pic google is your friend. and if that doesn't work I would find some "clout" that stuff kills anything the prazi doesn't.

Ajohnson2882

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2012
nebraska
Ive honestly never used chemicals/medecation to get rid of stuff in any tanks ive had in the past so im not very familiar with it. I will do some searching as ive never heard of either clout or prazi.. but ill look for either or. Once i introduce this stuff to my tank, how long will it take to get rid of the worms.. any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ajohnson2882

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2012
nebraska
Did a quick Google search and I think I'll get clout. Think that will be my best bet. What will i have to do to get rid of the medications once they've done their job, if anything? Thanks again for the help guys!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store