Copper pipes

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Well my house has copper pipes. Will my R/O unit take the copper out if the water? I have had it installed for years just for drinking water. I just finally decided I should use it for W/Cs since my LFS's stuff has a lot of phosphates.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
If you have corals or inverts, you will need to upgrade to RODI. If you just have fish then copper is fine. Keep in mind that you shouldn't upgrade the tank to reef if copper has been run in it.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
I guess i will just use my lfs RODI, my corals are fine, I only used it once or twice for top offs.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
If the copper pipes have been in use for a decade (or more) there's probably enough mineralization buildup to prevent any significant copper leeching. The problems with copper toxicity is usually associated with new homes and remodeling projects.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Ok cool thanks, so I should assume that plumbing in my house is original to the house, made in 1977?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
RO/DI units are designed to remove heavy metals from the water - it's a non-issue - not using an ro/di unit is when you need to be concerned about cooper leach - they do make cooper test kits fyi

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store