Gettin into salwater

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Hey guys I've lived in Jamaica most my life and have always been surrounded by fish and have always wanted a fish tank so when I moved to Boston I never get to see all these exotic corals and fish as I would of when I just walk out my door and see all these beautiful fish the only place I get to see salwater fish and corals are at my lfs and it brings soooo much memories and I got a freshwater 40 g with African cichlids but I still want a saltwater because it just brings me so much joy so what I'm asking of you guys is EVERYTHING I need to know about salwater and everything I would need to set up a 20g salwater tank I have a empty tank and a heater so if you guys can tell me what I need and how much those cost it will be greatly appreciated.

And if your wondering why I posted this in DIY it's cuz it was an accident lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
No to the FW kit. For a 20 you will need 20lbs of live rock. A good salt mix (I use Oceanic), a hydrometer or refractometer (I would get the refractometer). You will also need 2 power heads/circulation pumps, and a hob filter helps too. Then if you want to do corals, I would recommend either really good LEDs or a T5HO unit from Coralife. Also you will need enough aragonite sand to make about a 2in layer of sand on the bottom.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
If you don't want corals don't worry about the light then, but canister or hob filters are buckets of nitrates and you'd have to clean it out completely every week.. Live rock would be the best filtration and your also gonna want a protein skimmer too. For your tank size most people wont add a sump or refugium unless you want one and I would definitely recommend, I run a 10 gal refugium on my 20 gal reef and it helps a lot

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mach_six

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
The setup can be cheap for fish only, I've kept 3 small damsels all different in an Eclipse 12 (bio-wheel). I used base (dead) rock and coral substrate.

Lighting is not necessary for fish only but keep it in a room with ambient light for the fish so you don't need to turn the lights on a schedule. If you're not using RO and keep the tank light on more than 6 hours a day you'll get algae growth. Since teh room it was in was bright enough, I never turned the light on much when I wasn't looking at the fish and never had any unwanted algae growth.

If you keep damsels, most don't tolerate same species so I'd probably just stick with a pair of small clowns. even these fish full grown can reach 4" and are as aggressive as African cichlids toward others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store