Where do you get your live plants from?

stymie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I just switched my 180g from Oscars to a community tank. Now that the Oscars are gone, I'd like to add a couple of live plants. My LFS doesn't have a wide variety. A few sellers on Ebay have some interesting specimens. Has anyone bought plants from Ebay sellers? Or does anyone have a website they like? I'm now keeping Severum and Silver Dollars - both known for eating plants, so I'm looking for affordable more than exotic. Your help is appreciated.

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
No plants with silver dollars. They will eat any and all plants. Also, is that a common pleco in your avatar? If so, you can't keep most live plants with common plecos either as they will uproot everything. I have severums in my planted discus tank. I've never heard of severums eating live plants. The only thing you could maybe try would be a few species of floating plants. Particularly duckweed and frogbit. Frogbit is illegal in parts of the US. Be aware of that. Like I believe in Cali, Arizona they are illegal.

stymie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
No plants with silver dollars. They will eat any and all plants. Also, is that a common pleco in your avatar? If so, you can't keep most live plants with common plecos either as they will uproot everything. I have severums in my planted discus tank. I've never heard of severums eating live plants. The only thing you could maybe try would be a few species of floating plants. Particularly duckweed and frogbit. Frogbit is illegal in parts of the US. Be aware of that. Like I believe in Cali, Arizona they are illegal.
You might be right. I put a large Romaine leaf in today and it was gone in about an hour. The SD's looked like Piranhas on a wounded animal. I was hoping I could put some thicker leafed plants in the tank, but after seeing the Romaine destruction, I may need to rethink. Thanks for the input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store